US iPhone to be used in the UK

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 14, 2007
Hi

I bought an iPhone in the USA - AT&T.

I am moving to the UK - can I walk into a O2 shop (UK Carrier for iPhone) and purchase a plan and stick the sim in my iPhone and use it?

I would of course cancel my AT&T account when I leave the US.

I don't really want to purchase another UK friendly iPhone when I get to the UK. I assume as I am using one iPhone certified simcard to another I won't have any issues?

or am I wrong?

Dec 14, 2007
US iPhone is the UK

Hi

So, assuming O2 uses the same identical iPhones as the US AT&T ones. And I have the firmware 1.1.2 which opened up O2 etc and other European carries - I think all I need to do is open a new account with O2 when I get to the UK?

Am I missing something?

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
Hi

So, assuming O2 uses the same identical iPhones as the US AT&T ones. And I have the firmware 1.1.2 which opened up O2 etc and other European carries - I think all I need to do is open a new account with O2 when I get to the UK?

Am I missing something?
If I were into assuming, I would assume your USA iPhone is locked to ATT. If I were you I'd call or write O2 to find out for sure. Expect a negative answer. Otherwise anyone visiting the UK could just buy an O2 sim for their iPhone and not pay ATT the big bucks for international roaming.