US iPhone use in Japan

projkt13

Oct 22, 2007
Oceanside, CA
So heres the deal. I just moved here to Japan from Cali and I want to use my iPhone instead of buying a phone here. It is unlocked already but I went into the cell provider store and they told me that I couldnt use the Japanese sim card in my iPhone for some reason.

Is this true? Did I just waste time and money on an iPhone that I cant use in another country? Please educate me :)

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I'm curious about this too. I'm going to study abroad in Korea for 4 months and they are about to get iPhone there (I think they just got it this month) and I'm hoping I can just get a sim card and slap it into my phone.

I'm really thinking you can put the japanese sim card in, because I don't think any international version of iPhone is any different.

I've been wrong before.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
So heres the deal. I just moved here to Japan from Cali and I want to use my iPhone instead of buying a phone here. It is unlocked already but I went into the cell provider store and they told me that I couldnt use the Japanese sim card in my iPhone for some reason.

Is this true? Did I just waste time and money on an iPhone that I cant use in another country? Please educate me :)
As far as I know, Japan uses CDMA based cellular networks mostly. GSM is not deployed at all in Japan. iPhone uses GSM tech.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
As far as I know, Japan uses CDMA based cellular networks mostly. GSM is not deployed at all in Japan. iPhone uses GSM tech.
I think this is partially correct. I have co-workers who travel to Japan frequently who are able to use their 3G phones there (iPhone 3G and a Blackberry Bold). The only GSM networks in Japan are 3G networks, so you would not be able to use a first-generation iPhone there since it won't connect to a 3G network. The store employees were telling the truth.

bobhizen

Jul 21, 2009
Simcards

The way I see it, sim cards are regional pieces of hardware. They are made to function for a given country. This is true for sim cards sold by the providers. If however, there are "jail broken" versions of a sim card - maybe that would alleviate your predicament...

SLAMattina
Hall Of Applications
www.slamattina.com