USA Spec IPOD Interface - Car Stereo hook up

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Farani

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
This is a direct link to your car stereo, not an FM transmitter. I've been using it for over a year with my video iPod. I just got my iPhone yesterday and it works flawlessly! When a call comes in, the music fades out and the ringer plays through the speakers. Just wanted to let everyone know it is compatible!

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
does it give the message that it isn't a registered device or something to that effect.
no, why would it? its just a 1/8" headphone jack that plugs into the back of a aftermarket car stereo AUX port, so its not using the 30 pin port on the phone. as far as the phone knows, its just headphones

Farani

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
no, why would it? its just a 1/8" headphone jack that plugs into the back of a aftermarket car stereo AUX port, so its not using the 30 pin port on the phone. as far as the phone knows, its just headphones
Actually you are incorrect. It in fact does plug into the 30 pin port of the iPhone / iPod. It plugs into the rear of your car stereo where you would plug in a CD changer. The little box it comes with effectively emulates a cd changer.

I do get a pop up on the iPhone asking me if I want to go into airplane mode. It offers 'yes' or 'no'. I choose no and then everything runs just as it should.

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
Would it be of trouble to post a link, I can not seem
to find this some reason. Also, this was made for iPod
correct, does anyone know if they will have something
like this made specifically for the iPhone anytime soon?

Farani

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Actually you are incorrect. It in fact does plug into the 30 pin port of the iPhone / iPod. It plugs into the rear of your car stereo where you would plug in a CD changer. The little box it comes with effectively emulates a cd changer.

I do get a pop up on the iPhone asking me if I want to go into airplane mode. It offers 'yes' or 'no'. I choose no and then everything runs just as it should.
www.usaspec.com
www.crutchfield.com

beadgc23

Sep 29, 2007
Hi - anyone who's interested. (grin)

I have a USA spec PA10 Hon + volvo adapter cable which I've been using happily for 10 months or so with a 5.5G 80 GB iPod.

It has two interfaces - one is a cable directly to the ipod dock port which charges and controls the iPod from the head unit. This works well, audio quality is excellent and interference free, the connection cable is black and easy to ignore. Pause from the head unit does not work (switch the head off to "pause") and periodically it will start the day by resetting the 'pod to the first song.

The other interface is twin RCA plus 12v power outlet. I can switch between the two using buttons on the head unit.

I paid $90 for this on eBay. Installation took literally 10 minutes once I'd located the +12V, +12V accessory & ground connections on the head unit. Several friends bought one as a result of discovering mine. So far, so good.

Along comes the iPhone. Recklessly I plugged it into the USA Spec iPod dock cable...and it worked! Deep Joy. Got the airplane mode message.

Later in the day I noticed that the iPhone wasn't charging but it does seem to take a long time to charge, so...the next day the head was making worrying digital whining noises when the iPhone was connected. Ummm..10 minutes later the 'Phone rebooted and died. Symptoms were very similar tho those described in this post

Seriously - wouldn't charge, wouldn't restore, wouldn't make calls. Back to the Apple store, they swap it out. Happily, it was a virgin! Phew...

Now I research. I read that the iPod & iPhone dock connectors are supposed to be identical. I mail USA Spec for an opinion & get nothing back - they don't seem to have a phone # and want to process all service inquiries through their dealers (the pay up & shut up route). Crutchfield know nothing about iPhone/USA Spec compatibility.

There is no logical proof that the PA10 killed my iPhone, but it was attached to nothing else apart from the Apple charging cable. So now I'm being cautious and using the second interface.

YMMV. Take care out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

dhiebert

Oct 8, 2007
Along comes the iPhone. Recklessly I plugged it into the USA Spec iPod dock cable...and it worked! Deep Joy. Got the airplane mode message.

Later in the day I noticed that the iPhone wasn't charging but it does seem to take a long time to charge, so...the next day the head was making worrying digital whining noises when the iPhone was connected. Ummm..10 minutes later the 'Phone rebooted and died. Symptoms were very similar tho those described in this post

Seriously - wouldn't charge, wouldn't restore, wouldn't make calls. Back to the Apple store, they swap it out. Happily, it was a virgin! Phew...

Now I research. I read that the iPod & iPhone dock connectors are supposed to be identical. I mail USA Spec for an opinion & get nothing back - they don't seem to have a phone # and want to process all service inquiries through their dealers (the pay up & shut up route). Crutchfield know nothing about iPhone/USA Spec compatibility.

There is no logical proof that the PA10 killed my iPhone, but it was attached to nothing else apart from the Apple charging cable. So now I'm being cautious and using the second interface.

The USA Spec web site now lists that it is compatible with the iPhone, for whatever that is worth.

Regarding their lack of responsiveness, I had emailed their technical support about a year ago with a question and never received a response either.

beadgc23

Sep 29, 2007
If you could point out exactly where you spotted that statement I'd appreciate it! I thought I'd scoured their site.
The USA Spec web site now lists that it is compatible with the iPhone, for whatever that is worth.

Regarding their lack of responsiveness, I had emailed their technical support about a year ago with a question and never received a response either.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
hooked mine up today to a USA Spec... works fine and it charges the phone at the same time. I'll update if I have any issues.

slingshot110

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SF, CA
I got lucky!

Hi - anyone who's interested. (grin)

I have a USA spec PA10 Hon + volvo adapter cable which I've been using happily for 10 months or so with a 5.5G 80 GB iPod.

It has two interfaces - one is a cable directly to the ipod dock port which charges and controls the iPod from the head unit. This works well, audio quality is excellent and interference free, the connection cable is black and easy to ignore. Pause from the head unit does not work (switch the head off to "pause") and periodically it will start the day by resetting the 'pod to the first song.

The other interface is twin RCA plus 12v power outlet. I can switch between the two using buttons on the head unit.

I paid $90 for this on eBay. Installation took literally 10 minutes once I'd located the +12V, +12V accessory & ground connections on the head unit. Several friends bought one as a result of discovering mine. So far, so good.

I was recently in a local Circuit City checking out their after holidays clearance and happened to notice a USA Spec for Toyota cars on blowout clearance (it was a little over $10). The model I got is not specifically for the iPod/iPhone, but instead has 2 RCA aux inputs. It works great.

ibill32

Dec 8, 2008
The PA- Series adapters are compatible with the iPhone but needs an updated cable because of the 12V pin configuration and other updates. I was having the same problems as described, purchased the updated cable, and am now able to use it with the iPhone 3G with charging etc. I purchased the cable here: http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=3433. I used their free shipping so the price wasn't too bad.