Usage Menu under Settings

GotBMW78

Aug 17, 2007
How many people actually have readings for the battery?

Also how do you charge your iPhone? Do you turn it off with the red slider and then plug it in? if you do it this way, does anything show on the screen? Or do you leave it on and plug it in to charge?

Lastly, You you let the battery run down under it says connect to power before charging or do you charge it everynight?

Thank for your answers.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
First off, I never turn my iPhone off. I have never turned off any cell phone I have had.

Second I put in in the dock every night, to charge, no matter what the battery level is. Rumor has it that you should not let it drain down and then do a full recharge as this is what can cut battery life short. But then again everyone has different ideas. Plus I use iTunes to listen to whilst I am trying to fall asleep.

GotBMW78

Aug 17, 2007
Funny thing is I called Apple Tech Support this morning and they said to let the battery drain down because there is about 400 charge cycles with teh battery. And if you charge when the battery is not fully drained then you use up a whole charge cycle for a little amount.

What does it say in your usage screen for stats?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Funny thing is I called Apple Tech Support this morning and they said to let the battery drain down because there is about 400 charge cycles with teh battery. And if you charge when the battery is not fully drained then you use up a whole charge cycle for a little amount.
That is false. A charge cycle consists of you using 100% of the battery. So if you use it 50% one day, charge it, then use 50% the next day that is one charge cycle. Not two.

Also the thing about draining it is bad. That has half truth to it:p. If you leave the battery totally drained and to 0% to the point where it won't even say "Please charge me" or whatever that low battery thing says then yes it is bad for the phone because Li-Ion batteries need some state of charge or they will be damaged.

Hope that clears things up.

GotBMW78

Aug 17, 2007
so is it blank or dashed? What software version do you have on the phone, 1.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2?

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
so is it blank or dashed? What software version do you have on the phone, 1.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2?
Sorry, meant dashed. I have no mods and am running the latest software version.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
How many people actually have readings for the battery?

Also how do you charge your iPhone? Do you turn it off with the red slider and then plug it in? if you do it this way, does anything show on the screen? Or do you leave it on and plug it in to charge?

Lastly, You you let the battery run down under it says connect to power before charging or do you charge it everynight?

Thank for your answers.
Yes mine works fine....

I usually just plug it in. I only turn me off on occasion.

I never let the battery run completely out. It usually at about 30 percent to 50 percent.

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
mine works as well...
Time since last full charge
usage 4 hours, 19 minutes
standby 9 hours 10 minutes

Also states that the iPhone has been plugged in since that full charge right under those stats. My battery tends to drain fast I'm less then half full based on those stats up above. Thats with putting it on charger for 1/2 hour earlier. Been emailing all day and surfing the web. Also a few calls.

Sofware = 1.0.2

GotBMW78

Aug 17, 2007
So what should I do? Do a restore? I called the Apple tech line back this afternoon and they are telling me its probably a software issue but everything else seems fine.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
So what should I do? Do a restore? I called the Apple tech line back this afternoon and they are telling me its probably a software issue but everything else seems fine.

yes it is a software issue, have you restored and updated to the latest version?

I just checked mine and I set a new personal usage record: 6 hours 54 minutes usage, 4 days 7 hours standby and still running....

Aug 15, 2007
Some days my phone gives me the actual usage when compared to the standby (ex. 2hrs 30mins usage, 10hrs 20mins standby). While other days the usage is the same amount of time as the standby when the phone has been in sleep mode and not in use for extended periods of time. I've done a reset and restore, but it's been hit or miss with getting an accurate time of usage. Any ideas what the problem is?