Usage/Standby meter reading the exact same time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfg, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tfg

tfg New Member

I haven't been able to find a solution for this through searching, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. My usage and standby battery meter is reading the same time after charges. Something must be running in the background or something because now I need to charge just about everyday and I'm getting terrible battery life even though I have all of the normal options/settings turned off. I don't even really use 3g all that much. I've tried a hard reset and that hasn't seemed to work. I haven't tried a restore yet, but is that the only solution? Has anyone had this problem and any kind of fix?

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Turn off Location Services, Push services and Wifi. Reboot the phone and then charge to full and before you take it off the charger, go into the usage portion of settings, and scroll to the bottom and clear everything. ( it will not clear lifetime call counter) after it's cleared , disconnect and monitor from there.
    If you still have usage and standby showing the same, the last two suggestions would be to restore it, and if that doesn't solve it, make that appointment with Apple.

Also, install Free Memory from the App store. it should show you if anything is "hanging" and using most of the phone's resources.

3. j2innet

j2innet New Member

my battery since day 1 was good that can last 1 day for heavy usage. last 2 days for little usage.

but now, hey guys, did anyone or urself notice that IM+ is eating up your battery? it drain your battery like water dripping… i could see that effect in my 3GS. that’s sucks… just half a day, all battery gone. after full charge 100%, phone remain standby by after 30minutes drop until 80%. the usage and standby show 1hour plus.

why the usage time same as standby time. same? why? once fully charged, i just plugged away the power standby for 1 hour, my battery drain to 80%... i check setting general usage, both time show 1hour plus... why?

http://j2tech.blogspot.com

4. j2innet

j2innet New Member

ok guys! I FINALLY FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE !
    i dun use push mail service, but i did use notification push service from eBuddy, MafiaWars, TapTap... ever since i install these application which provide push service, my battery start to drain like water. i try uninstall all these apps, it solves. i try install it again, the problems come back! in order to use these apps without battery drain/heating up... try to DISABLE THE NOTIFICATION IN SETTING(1st page)... IT REALLY SOLVE !

I AM HAPPY MAN NOW! yeah!

from,
    http://j2tech.blogspot.com

5. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

I had this problem with 2.1 firmware. I tried everything. Apple gave me a new phone. I still think it was a software problem

6. Jon Crandall

Jon Crandall New Member

I had the same problem and finally found the solution (I have and iPhone 4). Turns out if you have a page open on safari, your iPhone decides it should run all the time. I closed the pages I had open and it solved the problem. Also found out today if you double tap the home button to bring up the multitask bar and hold one of the apps (like deleting from home screen) you can close the app so that it stops running. Hope this helps. It helped me!

7. Mikus Alex

Mikus Alex New Member

Old thread, but the same problems still.
    It helped me with > Reset All Settings. Hope it helps to others!

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

The bottom line is that you should close all apps and reboot every couple days to avoid any issues

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

WOW! I just went through Google to look once again for any solutions to this problem because I don't want to go to the Apple store in the friggin Mall and get a new phone.

U might say, what's the problem with going to the mall? Well, I am a Car-less American, a dying breed. I share this affliction with children under 15 and the elderly. I don't own or operate a vehicle thusly I am reduced to taking public transportation....and it absolutely sucks. The less time I can spend on the bus, the better.

SO this thread came up in Google. Way-to-go EIC! Reading this thread reminded me that this is a software problem and then I remember going to the Apple store for a battery drain problem with the 3GS and it was solved by closing the Safari browser. I'm going to try that.

EIC to the rescue again!

Unfortunately, after all my efforts to fix this, I have a feelign that I may have to take the bus to the mall to make my Genius appointment. Shucks!

10. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

Could the amount of apps you have also matter? The usage/standby changed once I turned everything off, but quickly again the usage/standby started to look the same when I turned just a few notification & location based apps on. Could the amount of apps I have be a problem? I do have A LOT of apps.

11. Heacon

Heacon Member
    Bronze

I did a restore from new and when the battery after next full charge suddenly it did not show same usage as standby after that i first used my backup

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

12. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

I found the battery hog! It was an app called DataMan. It caused my iPhone to always be on and never go into standby mode. I installed it a few days ago. It seems that any app that keeps track of your data or memory will cause your phone to never go into standby mode.