USB C on iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by liberated, Feb 28, 2017.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Just saw a report on CNN saying that the iPhone 8 will have USB C connectivity. Anyone seen anything like this elsewhere?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Saw something about this on either Redmond Pie or iPhoneHacks earlier today. Of course nothing confirmed, but they were saying that Apple is doing away with the Lightning connector in favor of the USB C

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've seen it in several places. I hope it's true. If USB-C will do everything a lightning connector can do, why not use a standard instead of proprietary fitting?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

5. vongolashu

vongolashu New Member

I would actually be up for it if we can use same usb-c to charge macbook and iPhone/iPad both. But even better would be Wireless charging

6. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I hope that this USB-C is true. And wireless charging to me is over rated. You are still tethered to a specific location. If the charger is on the second floor and your are on the first you have to still go to the second floor to where the base is to charge it. And you can't use it your phone while is charging. I guess it's just me or something that you have to experience lol

#6 Mthoroughbred, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  7. dubgixxer02

dubgixxer02 New Member

pretty sure if iPhone charge cable gets usb type c it will be to replace the usb portion of things not the lightening plug end.

8. timscookie

timscookie New Member

I agree but Apple do probably make a fortune from licensing lightning to third-parties. Being realistic, I don't think it'll ever happen.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Apple usually doesn't release info about new iPhone hardware until September.