USB cable longer than 40"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye-Fone, Nov 9, 2008.

1. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Can USB cables longer than what came with the iPhone 3G (40 inches) be used?

2. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I really don't see why not, but I could be wrong.
    How long are you talking?

3. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

I'm thinking 60-72 inches. I'm afraid that the longer it is, the more resistance will occur, resulting in inferior charging of the battery. I'm not planning on using a longer cable for sync'ing--just for charging.

4. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I am no expert in this area, but that doesn't seem too long to me. Maybe Dave will see this and comment. He is knowledgeable in this area.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I'm pretty sure it won't work or else you'd see a ton of long sync cables on Ebay.

I connect to my computer in the other room using a long USB cable with a powered hub on my end. That way I can hook up to 7 devices without any power drain. It works great with the iPhone this way.

6. djkeev

djkeev Member
    Bronze

HI,

Just get a USB extension cable, I've got one about 4' long attached to the Apple wire to the USB port and I have no issues that I've noticed at all.
    They make them in various lengths, available at any well stocked computer store.
    I've got a 6 foot extension wire in my car so the ipod or iPhone is in the center console and not on the dash. It has the Apple ipod plug ends, male and female and that too works great.
    They aren't easy to find but google them and you'll find sources.

Dave

7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

That may work, but if nothing else, I would avoid restoring or updating your firmware unless you're connected directly with the stock cable or through a powered hub.

8. djkeev

djkeev Member
    Bronze

There is no "may" about it, experience has shown me that it DOES work. Upgrades, song downloads, charging, whatever.
    Dave

9. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Little off topic Dave: When I got my MB, I also got the Airport Base Station as my wireless router. When I plug the USB from the printer into the router it works, but is extremely slow. Do you think this is because the printer isn't wifi capable or would a powered hub help in this situation?

10. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5

2: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
    A2: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Q3: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
    A3: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

Q4: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
    A4: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.

11. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

You Airport Base Station has a powered hub on it. What is the make / model of the printer you are attaching? Is it a multi-function device printer/scanner .. Those typically run a bit slower via airport USB. Powered USB hub will not make a difference with this. I have noticed that Epson printers in General appear to be dog slow via airport. I just picked up a HP Photosmart C4385 $99 at Best Buy. Works via wifi with every machine in the house, amazing little machine.

12. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Duh! Of course it is a power hub. The printer I have is an HP Photosmart P1000. I am thinking it is slow because it is not wifi ready. I like HP printers and will take a look at the C4385. Just in time for Santa.:p

13. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

I wish we had the ability to sync/download/update/etc wirelessly with our MBPs or Apple computers.

Im still wondering why and how Apple hasn't tapped into this since they have the feature that allows the iPhone/touch/Laptops to play music wirelessly all over the house to speakers that have that whole airport thing.

that said i wonder if Apple reads some of the things we come up with from these forums. lol.

14. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

I generally use the role, the longer the USB cable, the better quality you should get. I've got some 6' USB cables and they are Monster brand. If you buy cheap stuff, then you're asking for trouble. I guess it pretty much goes for any cable you buy. You pay peanuts, you're gonna get monkey's.

15. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

OR you could find a bargain.

You pay peanuts, you get an elephant.

16. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

I totally agree.

17. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

Just because something is cheaper dosent ALWAYS mean its worse.

(bad example but what the hell)
    Example: a HugoBoss leather jacket vs a Jcpenny Leather jacket. both are Genuine leather, one is just way cheaper.

18. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

No, the JC Penny leather is way cheaper in quality.:p

19. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

lol. it was a bad example.

20. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

What about a jacket from Ross?