USB cable not recognized

1. Buffy

Buffy Zealot Gold

Has anyone experienced this problem? I just moved, and the first time I plugged the USB cable into my computer, I got the message, "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes - no dice. I've plugged the cable into the wall charger, and it works fine. So as of now, i can't sync with iTunes as it doesn't even recognize my phone. Any ideas of what happened?

2. Buffy

Buffy Zealot Gold

P.S. I just plugged it into my laptop, and it works there, so it seems to be a computer-specific issue?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Buffy

Buffy Zealot Gold

P.P.S. I wonder if this could be an internet provider issue? I have a new internet provider since my move; my desktop uses this. My laptop is just connecting to some random network it's detecting. The desktop doesn't recognize my phone, but my laptop does...hmmm. Help! Who would I call to sort this out?

5. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot Gold

Doesn't seem like it should be an IP issue. Did you try a different usb port on the desktop?

6. Buffy

Buffy Zealot Gold

Yes, I've tried just about everything. I was on the phone with Apple support for two hours this morning, and they are still scratching their heads. I'm wondering if my satellite is blocking downloading from a certain server. Apple said to call the provider and see if they can help troubleshoot as well. I ran out of time, so problem still not solved. Grrr!

7. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist Gold

I know for a fact that she did. I was in chat when she was having the issue.

8. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot Gold

Well that just bites Buffy. Good luck!

9. Buffy

Buffy Zealot Gold

Thanks! I'll give an update when I solve the problem in case anyone else has the same issue. :mad:

10. chazm

chazm Contributor Silver

Its happened to me a couple of times too, I just kept unpluging it and pluging it back in to the computer....it also happens to me sometimes at work when I use my wall charger piece. It shows that its completely charged when its obviously not.

11. Eragon

Eragon Zealot Gold

I suspect that this is a windows issue. This problem recurs only when I plug my iPhone or iPods into my PC. Never had the problem with my Mac. I find it interesting that Windows needs to search, download and install the drivers each and every time I plug my device into my PC.

I'm not surprised.

The issue may be Windows update related, or may be indicative of a hardware issue with the USB port. Here's a set of instructions for troubleshooting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1495

I particularly don't care for corrective actions requiring removal and reinstallation of iTunes.

12. Adhikayev

Adhikayev New Member

Fixed the issue on my iPhone

Okay this happened to me just this morning.
    So it can recharge via wall charger but won't charge/connect to my Windows Vista PC. I was just about to give up and go to the store, when I tried uninstalling iTunes and at the same time (dunno if this effected it or not) opening iPhonebrowser.

The iPhonebrowser made its signature jingle then all was okay. I just reinstalled iTunes and its working like nothing has ever been wrong.

Hope this helps!

13. The Apple

The Apple Zealot Gold

Buffy did you end up resolving this issue? I have an issue with my USB connection also. Whenever I plug in my phone with the USB cable to my PC, it will randomly drop and refind my device. Once I start a sync it seems to "lock in" but if my phone is sitting and not in the middle of a sync, it will act as if my computer thinks I am unplugging and plugging it back in, over and over and over. I canot believe Apple does not have a resolution for this issue.

14. Adhikayev

Adhikayev New Member

I found the problem with mine. So basically what happened was the iPhone was conflicting with my webcam. Once that happens, i have to unplug the webcam and uninstall/install iTunes all over again (weird huh?). As long as both aren't connected together, everything is good. So check if any devices are conflicting

15. The Apple

The Apple Zealot Gold

I will look into what other devices I have on USB connections.....I do not have a webcam so I know it is not that. I have a printer that might be giving me hassles though. Thanks for the info.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

You can try going into Services and restarting Apple Mobile Devices and see if that helps.
    Also, if you uninstall iTunes, make sure that you also uninstall Bonjour and Apple Mobile Helper as well. These are separate in the Add/Remove Programs list, and actually affect the USB interaction more than anything else.
    Once you uninstall all 3, then reinstall iTunes and it should reinstall all three pieces and should work fine.

Moving has a tendency to mess up (tower) PC's. My wife moved her PC last week, and the power supply died on arrival. Nothing special happened, and the PC was packed and cushioned well.

17. panzeriti

panzeriti New Member Bronze

I have had a similar issue.

I would suggest doing a windows repair installation as your usb drivers may be hosed if that does not work I would backup your data and do a complete reinstall.

Also, if your pc came with a drivers disk, try installing the USB drivers from that disk.

Good Luck!

18. banny

banny New Member

Problem Solved!
    I had this problem, everything else except the iPhone worked fine. After some checking, it was noticed that the 5 Volt line feeding the USB port was nearer to 6 Volts. The problem was with the main PC power supply. The solution was to change to power supply and all was well. It seem the iPhone must check for an over voltage from the USB and if too high then will just not turn on. Modern mother boards do not consume much power on the 5 Volt line and thereforee cheaper power supply units (PSU) tend to over-volt a little but should not reach nearly 6 Volts.
    This can easily be checked with a volt-meter, back off PC, and find a spare 'chunky' 4 way connector, normally feeding the hard-drives. Measure the voltage across one of the black wires and the red wire which should be between say 4.5 and 5.5 Volts.