USB Charging Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 12, 2007
Folks,

Does anyone have problems charging their phone in the cradle while the USB cable is attached to their computer when it's powered off? I like to leave my cradle attached to the computer and the computer is asleep... However, the phone stops charging when the PC goes into suspend/sleep. Why does the supplied cable only charge the phone while the PC is on? Makes no sense to have to change the cable configuration....

Lee

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
You do realize that you computer has to be powered up & out of sleep mode in order for the USB port to provide power to the iPhone, right?

That's why they gave you an AC adapter with the iPhone - so you could charge it without having to plug it into your computer.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
You do realize that you computer has to be powered up & out of sleep mode in order for the USB port to provide power to the iPhone, right?

That's why they gave you an AC adapter with the iPhone - so you could charge it without having to plug it into your computer.
yes but it sucks when the AC adapter stops working and now i can only charge from my comp. They better replace it for free.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
yes but it sucks when the AC adapter stops working and now i can only charge from my comp. They better replace it for free.
I hear ya. I'm having trouble with my AC adapter too, but the fact that USB ports don't have power running through them when the computer is turned off/sleeping is hardly Apple's fault. Think about what a huge waste of energy it would be.

Jul 12, 2007
I hear ya. I'm having trouble with my AC adapter too, but the fact that USB ports don't have power running through them when the computer is turned off/sleeping is hardly Apple's fault. Think about what a huge waste of energy it would be.
Let me be more clear, the phone is plugged into a USB hub that is powered and remains on all the time. I cannot understand why the iPhone doesn't get power when in this configuration with the PC off.

Thoughts?

Lee

miamibusta69

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
a usb was not made to charge iPhones come on..... if i closed the lid to my laptop and it was sending power to the usbs i would be out of battery in no time with out even using the computer.. turn off your sleep mode and turn off display . no way can u blame Apple except for the ac block not working lol ***** all you want about that ahha

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Let me be more clear, the phone is plugged into a USB hub that is powered and remains on all the time. I cannot understand why the iPhone doesn't get power when in this configuration with the PC off.

Thoughts?

Lee
USB does not provide bpower because the PC needs to know how much current to send out and even then at USB 2.0's max current an outlet is still faster. Did you not notice when you first plugged the phone into the dock it took 30 seconds or so to have the phone be recognized THEN start charging?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If your iPhone is not charging from the wall charger (may also apply to not charging via USB while computer is powered up), reset it. This seems to work for most folks. Worked for me!