Use Android device as security camera

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Matlock, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Matlock

Matlock New Member

I have an HTC EVO 3D that I came from when I switched to an iPhone and want to use it as security camera of sorts. I'd like to be able to use my iPhone to watch the video feed from the EVO and am wondering if there is an app that works for both OS that is able to do it.

Sent from Matlock's iPhone 4S using the iCafe app!

"There are no such things as dumb questions."

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Have you tried the Skype or Tango app?

3. Matlock

Matlock New Member

I have not. Any clue if they are able to continually run and me just be able to connect to it to view the feed?

4. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

You may have better luck jail breaking and finding a Cydia app that will allow you to view feeds from another smartphone.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You would have to set it up as an IP camera surely. I don't think it can be done from device to device. If you had a webcam, you can do this easily - I use an app called iCam. I have it set up on my iMac.

Check it out here: http://skjm.com/icam/

6. Matlock

Matlock New Member

At the moment I am waiting for an untethered jailbreak for 5.1 from Absinthe. Then I'll see about an app from there.

It would seem a webcam might have to be my next option. I was thinking of a wireless webcam so my computer doesn't have to be in the same area as the camera. Any suggestions?
    Also, how did you set yours up, iPhonewarrior?

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Strange question to be asking here but...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam

That app will turn your EVO into a webcam. Can view from a browser or VLC as it states in the description. No clue if it works with mobile safari though I'd hope it's not streaming with Flash.

Sent from Tapatalk

8. Matlock

Matlock New Member

iP5, that App worked like a charm. A little rigging and blamo! Got my own security\baby monitor if I so choose. I uploaded some pictures of what I set up.

Works fine on mobile Safari. Depending on the settings for resolution, and quality, there is nearly no lag. Audio is another matter though. Very much lag.

So far though, it's works. The phone is plugged into the wall, so it will never die (hopefully). Connected through WiFi, no dent in my unlimited/limited data.

The app itself has a good amount of functions. If it had motion sensor with notification , that would set it over the top.

Attached Files:

9. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

That Otterbox clip set up might work for a newborn, but soon as the baby can pull itself up in that babybed..... My daughter is 2 now and if she sees a cell phone she takes it, i could see her grabbin that saying the whole time "My Anggy Burdy" lol she talkin pretty good for 2 and loves Angry Birds.
    Point... Might want to secure the camera better, hate for that to slip off and hit the baby.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

10. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

yes that is a neat setup but I too would be concerned if it feel and hit the baby :(

"By any means necessary" -X.

11. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I don't think that phone has a front cam cause it might have been nice to load up a soothing video. At least you can run some lullabies while you have it monitoring. Could swear there was a motion detection and alert capable IP Cam app. Will link it if I find it. Might be an XDA thing. If you're looking for more features then think about posting a question at forum.xda-developers.com under the Apps section. If it doesn't exist and someone believes it's very marketable, then there's a half decent chance that a dev will pick up the project.