Use Calendar Like a To-Do List?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Is there any way to get to-do lists on the iPhone? I'm considering switching from the Treo, but no To-Do's is a bit of an issue for me. Any hacks? Can you make a "to-do" list with the calendar?

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
There is a memo pad, but no to-do-list.
You could use the memo pad as a to-do-list but there is no way to "check" things off once you have completed them. But, maybe you could simply remove the completed tasks.

aaiphone

Sep 21, 2007
Is there any way to get to-do lists on the iPhone? I'm considering switching from the Treo, but no To-Do's is a bit of an issue for me. Any hacks? Can you make a "to-do" list with the calendar?
There is a native todo application that you can "put" on the iPhone but I did not like it and currently used a web based solution ido.pmade.com which the only bad part is you have to have EDGE/WiFi access to get to it...

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I checked again yesterday at the Apple store. The "tasks" or "to do" feature in iCal isn't supported. It's an issue for me also. I'm bummed about it. :mad:

Can't understand how a feature of iCal wouldn't work for the mac iPhone. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Native To-Do App

There is a native To-Do app. I'm like you - I want a to-do list. This one is there, but not quite finished, and the developers acknowledge that. Their next offering will have capability to set due dates. As it is now, you have the ability to manage the groupings, set priorities, and title your to-do item. There is no current provision for notes with the to-do. The homescreen icon does have an outstanding to-do identifier that'll display. Here's some snapshots. I normally don't keep icons on the homescreen, but put it there to show the number badge. The height of the rows is adjustable (30, 40, 75 and 100 are your options. Shown below is 40.

Last edited by a moderator:

macrat

Jul 15, 2007
Easiest work-around is to create a fake "contact" in your address book and name it "A1 - To Do List" This will place this contact in front of your regular contacts and you can also sync/update it from either your iPhone or PC Outlook/Mac Address Book.

You can also use this workaround for "Notes"

This is a popular remedy until we get the updates from Apple.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
For the life of me I can't see the the big deal about the missing to do list. Between Calendar and the Notes , it more than covers it it seems unless maybe you've got a hundred things to do in a day! I just put an "X" next to item in Notes when done. And Calendar takes care of the biggies.

Guess I've never gotten into whatever kind of To Do lists ya'll are used to, but there are many many more features i'm looking forward to before this one.

Nice tip above about adding to contact list and its notes section.

Jul 12, 2007
another idea

Easiest work-around is to create a fake "contact" in your address book and name it "A1 - To Do List" This will place this contact in front of your regular contacts and you can also sync/update it from either your iPhone or PC Outlook/Mac Address Book.

You can also use this workaround for "Notes"

This is a popular remedy until we get the updates from Apple.
Another idea is to use the "all day" feature in the calendar which forces the items to the top of the calendar on the due date.

Sep 19, 2007
Ttask / To Do lists

There is a native To-Do app. I'm like you - I want a to-do list. This one is there, but not quite finished, and the developers acknowledge that. Their next offering will have capability to set due dates. As it is now, you have the ability to manage the groupings, set priorities, and title your to-do item. There is no current provision for notes with the to-do. The homescreen icon does have an outstanding to-do identifier that'll display. Here's some snapshots. I normally don't keep icons on the homescreen, but put it there to show the number badge. The height of the rows is adjustable (30, 40, 75 and 100 are your options. Shown below is 40.
How do you get access to this native application on the iPhone?
Anybody came with another solution to handle tasks and sync them with your PC Outlook?
apprecaite any help,

Last edited by a moderator:

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Anybody came with another solution to handle tasks and sync them with your PC Outlook?
apprecaite any help,

don't recommend this application, at all...it sucks big time, i had it... try it though it might work for you...

what i do is...

on the calendar...

if it is something i have to do today and i knew about it today.,,, i just create an appointment ''all day'' with the description of what i have to do, gives you the option of specify a location, time and reminder...

if it is something with a due date, say something i have to do by october 15th but it can be done before october 15th...i create an appointment ''all day'' and have repeat daily till the day it is supposed to be done, set the reminder 2 days before and then again a day before the "thing" is supposed to be done by.

if it is something i just have to do, eventually...i do the same, creat an event, "all day" repeat daily, forever and then when i get it done i just deleted or stopt the repeat, i choose to stop the repeat so i can go back and look at what i have done, just in case girlfriend comes out and say i didn't do something, i can go back and be like, look i did it this date at this time and here are my notes...

it works great for me, i hope it works for someone else.

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
apprecaite any help,
I installed through Installer. AppTap might have it as well. It's a 3rd party app that runs natively. As I said, and others have attested to, it's not complete - however, the developers acknowledge that, and I guess are continuing to work on it.

Denise

Aug 8, 2007
To do list

I have been using this web based application which works great with the iPhone. http://listingly.com

I haven't used the "to do" list feature, but if it works as well as the other lists it should be great. You can enter the information on any computer or your iPhone and it will show up everywhere. This way you don't even have to sync to have the up-to-date information.

AquaHump

Jul 30, 2007
DE
I really wish the iPhone Cal would use color and sync it with iCal's color. It seems that it would not be that hard.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I just started using http://www.rememberthemilk.com. Easy to use, the mobile version looks good and loads quickly (even over EDGE), and it will send you email or text reminders. There's also a widget that for use on your iGoogle homepage. Good stuff.

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
I have been using this web based application which works great with the iPhone. http://listingly.com

I haven't used the "to do" list feature, but if it works as well as the other lists it should be great. You can enter the information on any computer or your iPhone and it will show up everywhere. This way you don't even have to sync to have the up-to-date information.

I think this program just made my Palm Zire obsolete.