Use iPhone like an iPod touch?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kei

Sep 8, 2007
Hi,

I don't want to subscribe an AT&T account for now, but I want an iPhone.
Will I be able to used it like an iPod touch? (Safari, mp3, ...).

Thanks,
Kei

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Hi,

Thanks,
Kei
If u don't want the service then why don't you just wait a couple weeks and actually GET the iPod touch? But if you want to have the iPhone for done reason there are some hacks out there that let you unlock it

Kei

Sep 8, 2007
Hi monkeysrock0622,

If u don't want the service then why don't you just wait a couple weeks and actually GET the iPod touch? But if you want to have the iPhone for done reason there are some hacks out there that let you unlock it
Thanks for your answer.
Actually, I will need the phone service in January. If I buy an iPod touch at the end of the month, I will still need a phone in January...so why don't buy the iPhone now :p
I found the hack that you are talking about (Activate your iPhone without using AT&T or Terminal!)...is it still working with the last firmware (and new iTunes)?

Thanks,
Kei

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
Hi,

Thanks,
Kei
The phone is a paperweight until it is activated with AT&T. No iPod, no nothing.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
yup all you can do is dial emergency number use it as paper weight till it is actually activated.
....no.. you can use the 3rd party activators to activate it w/o att, but you cannot use safari or the phone option, but can use the Ipod and such I believe. so you should be able to use it as a mp3 till you want to activate it as the phone.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
My bf used all features minus calling and youtube until he switched his service this past week (about 2 months). Ironically, he bought it 7/7 and activated on wed. evening, after the price drop was announced--LOL. Anyway, search for hacktheiPhone dot com.

I didn't do that, and wouldn't, I have a guilt issue with hacking or pirating stuff. But a lot of people HAVE done it.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you don't have to wait. just go through the activation process, and just enter 999-99-9999 as your SSN#. you'll fail the credit check, and it will let you do pay-as-you-go with the iPhone

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Pirating is illegal and immoral.

However, there's nothing illegal about hacking your own phone.
Regardless of whether it's illegal, the phone wasn't designed to be used at all without activation--and they make it difficult for the average consumer to figure out how to do so. I chose not to go against that because it's not how it was meant to be used.

I have absolutely no problem with others doing so, just chose not to myself. I don't think that's something to criticize.

Bender

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Virginia
you don't have to wait. just go through the activation process, and just enter 999-99-9999 as your SSN#. you'll fail the credit check, and it will let you do pay-as-you-go with the iPhone
Is this true? Are you speaking from experience?

I am currently a “Pay as You Go” customer with AT&T and I have been wanting to upgrade to the iPhone but, I don’t want to pay the $60 or $70 a month just to get an iPhone. Especially when I don’t even use up a $100 worth of phone calls in a year.

:cool:

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Is this true? Are you speaking from experience?

I am currently a “Pay as You Go” customer with AT&T and I have been wanting to upgrade to the iPhone but, I don’t want to pay the $60 or $70 a month just to get an iPhone. Especially when I don’t even use up a $100 worth of phone calls in a year.

But how does the pay as you go work with data? Right now they charge 20$ a month for unlimited data usage, do you get hit with that automatically if you do even one data transaction or do they have rates on that which cap out at 20$?

That would be my fear with the PayG method.

Bender

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Virginia
But how does the pay as you go work with data? Right now they charge 20$ a month for unlimited data usage, do you get hit with that automatically if you do even one data transaction or do they have rates on that which cap out at 20$?

That would be my fear with the PayG method.
Well, I would only use the data feature of the phone when I had a WiFi connection. I am sure they have a by minute charge for data but I would try not to use it.