Use my wife's upgrade for my 3GS?

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
Hi
On my Family plan, I'm not able to get upgrade on my 3G iPhone. My wife's iPhone V1 is upgrade ready.

How should I set things up so that I can use the upgrade for my phone without getting our numbers mixed up?

Can I do this over phone with AT&T? Or do I need to bring both phones into store?
I'd like to do this before launch day to avoid confusion.
BTW I'm the person who is listed on family plan contract.

Thanks
Donald

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
if you go in to AT&T to upgrade your wife's phone they are going to put the iPhone required data plan on for $30 a month. once its turned on activated and everything all you need to do is pull the SIM card from your phone, put it into the new 3GS, and call AT&T to have the data plan changed back to v1 for your wifes line.

phone numbers stay with your SIM card

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
My wife will keep my 3G.
So I guess I can swap sims?

I thought the SIM was "married" to iPhone?

I'm confused.....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, swap the SIM's. They are removable for that reason. Many people have several phones but only one SIM (one account...one phone number). They swap the SIM back and forth depending on what phone they want to use.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Yes, swap the SIM's. They are removable for that reason. Many people have several phones but only one SIM (one account...one phone number). They swap the SIM back and forth depending on what phone they want to use.
yep, im rocking a moto razor until my 3GS arrives. sold my 3G for 400 on ebay :laugh2:

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I am in the same situation as the OP, but I do not have easy access to the V1 iPhone line I am using to get the eligible upgrade. So since I won't be able to bring it to the store with me would it be easier to order online and call to have them change the eligible line back to the V1 plan? And will I need to activate the 3GS on the eligible line first or will I just be able to put my sim in the new phone as soon as I get it?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Hi
On my Family plan, I'm not able to get upgrade on my 3G iPhone. My wife's iPhone V1 is upgrade ready.

How should I set things up so that I can use the upgrade for my phone without getting our numbers mixed up?

Can I do this over phone with AT&T? Or do I need to bring both phones into store?
I'd like to do this before launch day to avoid confusion.
BTW I'm the person who is listed on family plan contract.

Thanks
Donald
I did this last night. My wife's line is eligible for the $199/299 pricing, so I went into an AT&T store and told them I wanted to use her upgrade on my line. They said no problem and did it. I just checked my account on AT&T's website and it doesn't show anything yet, so I suspect it'll change the contract on my wife's line once I activate the 3G S on the 19th.

Joe

I have the same situation, and swapping SIMS seems easier than having AT&T change the numbers. However, once I make the SIM swap, she will have my 3G and want to put all her iTunes stuff, contacts, etc on it. I guess I could wipe it clean using Settings and then just have her restore from backup on her Mac Air. Is there an easier way?

With my new 3Gs I expect I can just sync with my MBP and all should be well.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
My wife will keep my 3G.
So I guess I can swap sims?

I thought the SIM was "married" to iPhone?

I'm confused.....
The phone is "married" to the service provider unless you get it unlocked... so technically, I could get your phone, put my SIM card in and use it. But like others had mentioned, you'd have a problem using the data plan (or lack of) with your SIM but it's not a problem. (or depends on who you get that day).

My mom was eligible for an upgrade, and we went into a store and told them flat out I wanted to get the BB with the data plan but use her number for the upgrade and they did.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
The phone is "married" to the service provider unless you get it unlocked... so technically, I could get your phone, put my SIM card in and use it. But like others had mentioned, you'd have a problem using the data plan (or lack of) with your SIM but it's not a problem. (or depends on who you get that day).

My mom was eligible for an upgrade, and we went into a store and told them flat out I wanted to get the BB with the data plan but use her number for the upgrade and they did.
Did you have to bring her phone into the store to use her upgrade eligibility?

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
Did you have to bring her phone into the store to use her upgrade eligibility?
No. They simply checked everything online. It was the same when I tried out the Bold. We didn't have to turn phones in or check UPCs or anything... which is nice for emergency purposes

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
I ordered off Apple.com and the only thing I had to pay was the price of the phone. Since I upgraded a secondary line no service changes or charges are applied until activation through iTunes which wont apply to the secondary line because it wont be activated for that phone number.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I ordered off Apple.com and the only thing I had to pay was the price of the phone. Since I upgraded a secondary line no service changes or charges are applied until activation through iTunes which wont apply to the secondary line because it wont be activated for that phone number.
Yeah I am still on the wall if I want to order or go to a store. So I could order online and when I get it just put my sim in and activate it? For some reason I am thinking it would have to be activated on the line that I used for the eligibility first. That would be so much easier than going to a store on launch day.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Yeah I am still on the wall if I want to order or go to a store. So I could order online and when I get it just put my sim in and activate it? For some reason I am thinking it would have to be activated on the line that I used for the eligibility first. That would be so much easier than going to a store on launch day.
the iPhone comes paired to nothing in anyway unless for some reason the sim cards are not removable in this model (i would be pissed). so its almost like your just buying a phone, slide whatever SIM in you'd like and follow the appropriate activation steps, that SIM card will provide all the necessary info during the activation process.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
the iPhone comes paired to nothing in anyway unless for some reason the sim cards are not removable in this model (i would be pissed). so its almost like your just buying a phone, slide whatever SIM in you'd like and follow the appropriate activation steps, that SIM card will provide all the necessary info during the activation process.
I looked online and it still has the sim ejector tool so you can still remove it. And what about the plan because online you have to select the $30 plan, will I have to take it off and put the $20 plan back or won't it even get added since I will be activating it on my already 3g line?

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
I looked online and it still has the sim ejector tool so you can still remove it. And what about the plan because online you have to select the $30 plan, will I have to take it off and put the $20 plan back or won't it even get added since I will be activating it on my already 3g line?
i don't believe the iPhone data plan will ever take effect on the secondary line because the phone isn't being activated on that line. i recall activating my 3g and once activated the plan took effect.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
So you never saw a screen like this? I'm also upgrading a secondary line and got the following...

Last edited by a moderator:

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i don't believe the iPhone data plan will ever take effect on the secondary line because the phone isn't being activated on that line. i recall activating my 3g and once activated the plan took effect.
That's what I was thinking, activating through iTunes is what gives the go ahead to turn the $30 plan on which my line already has. I guess that thing on the Apple order website is just to let you know that data plan is going to come with it. I will still check online to make sure, but $10 more for the plan by accident for one month isn't bad at all if I am getting the phone cheaper.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
I got my 3G about 3 months ago. Here is what I did.

I went to Wal-Mart to get the phone. My mother was eligible for an upgrade, mine was not til september. The young lady at wal-mart was great. What she did was:

she has a "rep" that she sent a text to who did everything. They upgraded on Mom's account, did not put the data package on her's but set it up on mine, and then we just swapped my sim in my Palm Centro to the iPhone and put the new sim that Mom had to get with the iPhone into the Centro. Did not take long and everything was set up correctly.