Use WiFi and not EDGE?

Junksen

Jan 14, 2009
HB
I am going to get an iPhone 2G and i don't want to use the EDGE Data newtork. Is it possible to use only WiFi like the iPod Touches? If i can do this, wil it affect anything else?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
I am going to get an iPhone 2G and i don't want to use the EDGE Data newtork. Is it possible to use only WiFi like the iPod Touches? If i can do this, wil it affect anything else?

yeah I say only use wi-fi unless you get free edge access. I find edge really expensive to use but if you remove your sim then use Edge you cannot be charged. Sneaky trick I use

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
yeah I say only use wi-fi unless you get free edge access. I find edge really expensive to use but if you remove your sim then use Edge you cannot be charged. Sneaky trick I use
I would love to know how that is even possible. You cannot connect to the network without a sim except for emergency calls.
And if you ARE somehow connecting to the cell network and pulling data, you don't think you IMEI is getting transmitted? even if you are under the wire - so to speak- you will eventually get caught, especially now that you have made this something for lots people to try. I can see a handfull of people pulling this off, but when a couple hundred do it... it's going to get noticed. If its even possible.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia

I have friends that have unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile and they neglected the EDGE data package. As a result they only use WiFi and nothing ill has come of it. You should be perfectly fine.

RLK

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Indialantic, FL
I have a 1g iPhone without a SIM card. I use the Wi-Fi around the house. I have full acccess to everything except phone and SMS

Junksen

Jan 14, 2009
HB
so when people sell used iPhones and iPod Touches, how come the iPod touches go for more? I would just buy an old iPhone like this guy ^^^
and take out the sim card

Achillies

Dec 16, 2008
Call AT&T and have them cancel all the data network to your phone. I am using my non iPhone plan and didn't want to get charged when using the internet, I only wanted to use the browser while on wi-fi. I called and had them cancel and it worked out great, just make sure to tell them to keep your text messaging on if you use it.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I have a 1g iPhone without a SIM card. I use the Wi-Fi around the house. I have full acccess to everything except phone and SMS
Why didn't you just get an iPod touch? Seems like a waste of $400 to me.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
easy to do so. i usually turn off data service of EDGE, becoz the cost of Wi-Fi is really preferred.