Uses for iPhone screen capture

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I read/found out about the iPhones screen capture function on patrickj's justanotheriPhoneblog but apart from cropping photos it seemed like a useful feature.....However I thought it might be more suited to developers and the like. On thinking about it here's two uses I thought might be of use with this function

1. forward an sms as an email (as a cropped jpeg)...yeah all those joke sms's can be shared with friends.
2. forward contact details as an email

I'm sure others have thought of these so sorry in advance but I would love to know what others are using it for. It seems like it has potential!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Nice ideas.

instead of just mailing a link to the page, you could take a screenshot and mail the actual page, like Mail content of this page on a mac.

I read found out about the iPhones screen capture function on patrickj's justanotheriPhoneblog but apart from cropping photos it seemed like a useful feature but I thought it might be more suited to developers and the like. However on thinking about it here's two uses i thought might be of use with this function

1. forward an sms as an email (as a cropped jpeg)...yeah al those joke sms's can be shared with friends.

I'm sure others have thought of these so sorry in advance but I would love to know what others are using it for. It seems like it has potential!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Since updating apps moves my apps around I take screenshots of each homescreen before I go updating so I can put the apps back where they belong.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Do you update from the phone or via iTunes and sync? It doesn't move things around if you do it by syncing. I also think some apps I updated from the phone moved the icon and some did not...

Since updating apps moves my apps around I take screenshots of each homescreen before I go updating so I can put the apps back where they belong.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
I use it when someone I know sends me an mms message. I log into the "viewmymessage" site and take a screenshot of the pictures so I can keep them.

That's actually the only time I've used screen capture.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I used to do the same whenever I was about to restore and apply a new jailbreak for a new firmware - screencap all the home screens to use as my guide for putting apps back on afterwards ...

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I use it when someone I know sends me an mms message. I log into the "viewmymessage" site and take a screenshot of the pictures so I can keep them.

That's actually the only time I've used screen capture.
But then you can just hold the pic, and it will let you save the actual pic, so that you don't get the border too.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I use it to take shots of apps when reviewing them.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
But then you can just hold the pic, and it will let you save the actual pic, so that you don't get the border too.

Huh.....I never realized you could save the pic.
Learn something new everytime I come to this site.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah, the screenshot tool is really helpful, especiallywhen I have found bugs in applications. I shoot it, and e-mail it off to the developers. I think it is easier then trying to explain a problem in an e-mail.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Never thought about that... good idea. I just wish there was a way to actually email the contact info so the other person doesn't have to memorize it in order to enter it into their contacts. Good idea nonetheless.

nic08

Jun 29, 2008
Nice, Thanks for sharing this to us.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I use it to prove my gaming abilities. Take a snapshot of my highscores & email them to friends to rub in their faces.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
That's what I love the most. You can always find an important use for a simple feature.

chimera

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
When I pay my credit cards and bills by internet I take a screen shot of the receipt.

People complain about the two megapixel cam; I remember when I got one of the first 2 megapixels for $800. I appreciate the quality for such a small lens. Here's a pic of my God Daughter:

Back to the screen capture; Love it. Today I took a screen capture of my next 3G case; it will go great with my black Hummer H3:

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
When I pay my credit cards and bills by internet I take a screen shot of the receipt.

People complain about the two megapixel cam; I remember when I got one of the first 2 megapixels for $800. I appreciate the quality for such a small lens. Here's a pic of my God Daughter:

Back to the screen capture; Love it. Today I took a screen capture of my next 3G case; it will go great with my black Hummer H3:

Holy crap that looks like a hard core case