Using AirPort with iMac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So I switched to a Mac Mini a few months ago. I had been using a blue iMac. (This: http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~burkes/mac/imac.jpg ) It was using an AirPort for internet connection. The MacMini is now using the same AirPort. Now I want to set up the blue Mac in my room. However, when I try to find our AirPort on it, or use Safari, nothing comes up.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I opened AirPort Setup Assistant...
Clicked Continue....
And it told me there wasn't an AirPort card installed.
There had to be one once, because the same AirPort station was working with the blue Mac a few months ago. I don't think anytinhg was removed from the old Mac when we switched. Is this said card software or hardware? Where can I get it?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Clicked Continue....
There had to be one once, because the same AirPort station was working with the blue Mac a few months ago. I don't think anytinhg was removed from the old Mac when we switched. Is this said card software or hardware? Where can I get it?
My guess is that your airport card is out of commission. I found this little piece of hardware for $40 or so. You install the software and stick it in any USB 2.0 port. It connects with the airport station. It can be switched to another computer. No need to open the computer and reinstall an airport card.
However, does your blue iMac have a 2.0 USB port? It is fairly ancient by computer standard.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Clicked Continue....
OK, forget it. Your indigo iMac doesn't have a 2.0 USB port. It's 7 years-old. Indigo iMacs did not support Airport either. So, I'm not sure how you made it work before. Other G3 iMacs required an adapter and a 802.11b Airport card. You can still find those for sale on many internet sites.