Using an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by Tenacious--M, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Tenacious--M

Tenacious--M New Member

I am setting up an iPhone 4 8gb purchased at At&t on T-Mobile. What steps do I need to take to make this work?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Assuming you currently have a Tmobile phone, youwill need micro sim from your Tmobile account to put into the 4, or u can cut a regular sized sim down to fit. See YouTube for cut down instructions.
    You will also need to jailbreak and unlock it if it's not a factory unlock from AT&T.
    Is the 4 new from AT&T?
    If it has iOS 5 or newer, u will only be able to use a tethered jailbreak......

3. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Better off returning that phone to AT&T and buying a factory unlocked unit from Apple.

Keep in mind in all cases your TMo connection is capped at 2G because there isn't an iPhone commercially available that it's compatible with TMo 3G/4G. In my opinion it's simply not worth paying mobile data. Better off hunting for wifi or getting a TMo MiFi.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I've been using iPhones on T-Mobile prepaid for about 2 years now. Works just like when you're on AT&T with EDGE data service. Not all AT&T markets have 3G so you might not notice the difference depending on here you live.

I was at their store last night and T-Mobile doesn't have micro sims but they have the cutter and will cut it for you free. That's how many iPhones they activate that they have the cutters right there for your convenience.

I found out last night also that T-Mobile has a great prepaid plan at $50 for everything unlimited. They slow down 3/4G data speeds after 500MB but who cares because you're always at EDGE speeds anyway. I've been researching prepaid plans for a while and up to now it's the best plan for the money. You can always use H20 or others that are faster for the iPhone because they're on AT&T's network but your data runs out at 2GB while T-Mobile's is unlimited.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Mind reporting how much data you use in a month, say last month.

6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Don't have a clue. Since it's unlimited I never check anything anymore. My neighbor used about 300MB last month on hers. She streams music a lot and checks email and a few youtube and no movies or games.

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

She's on TMo with an iPhone?

8. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yes, so am I. I'm prepaid and she's on contract for a few more months then prepaid too.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Unlock.

Please post your baseband. Settings > General > About > Modem Firmare.

I'm pretty sure the 8 GB models of the iPhone 4 were all shipped with iOS 5. An AT&T iPhone 4 that was shipped with 5.0 cannot be unlocked with ultrasn0w or a GEVEY SIM. An iPhone 4 with firmware 4.1 - 4.3.5 can be unlocked with a GEVEY and 4.0 - 4.0.2 can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. There are some exceptions (the owner preserved the baseband), but you're out of luck if this phone was purchased with 5.0.

10. Tenacious--M

Tenacious--M New Member

I just got the iPhone 4 and it has OS 5.0.1 on it. I am running Redsnow and I keep getting the error "no identifying data fetched" when I run the jailbreak.

I have also tried manually downloading the IS 5.0.1 so I can go to the extras menu and select IPSW, but the file wont download all the way. It goes for a while and then says "interuppted".

Can anybody help point me in the right direction?