Using an iPod touch as a phone

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
I just bought a new Ipod Touch 8gb for my wife for her birthday. I carry a 3G iPhone. I just heard that there is a program out there that lets you use WIFI and use your ipod touch as a phone? Is that true? If so, what do I do about a microphone?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will work for VoIP on WiFi. There are Skype apps at the apps store. I think the headphones for the iPhone would work for a mic.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I use 2 different apps for that. Fring is (or was, don't know if they started charging) Free app that supports IM and Skype.
Infinite SMS was 99 cents and uses a Gmail account to SMS people for Free over Wifi (not free to the phone user, but is to someone who has the app as well.)
These are work arounds, and technically can only be used one at a time. Also, both app need to be running (not at the same time) to receive anything. Infinite SMS however, does queue the text messages for you to see the next time you launch the program.

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the help.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i believe truphone is another app that allows you to talk free to other truphone users. check it out in the app store, i have it installed but have nobody to truphone with :)

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Skype is your best bet...
u might have to jailbreak in order to let apps run in background for when someone is trying to call u, u always have to e connected to wifi in order for communication, there is a mic u can buy for 15$ or u could use theiPhones headphoes, they have a mic on the
also...

iemploy

Bronze
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the info.