Using an upgrade from another line

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FlyersPhanatic9, Sep 13, 2012.

1. FlyersPhanatic9

Bronze

I know this will be a popular topic and has been brought up in a few small threads, but I thought this could be a good place to pool information.

Personally, I will be using my moms upgrade to get the iPhone 5 on AT&T, as I am not yet eligible for a full upgrade, having upgraded to the 4S when it was released.
    Currently, her line is as simple as you can get, no data, etc.
    I've never used another family member's upgrade, as I've always been fully eligible before, so I was wondering if someone could explain the pre order process and the activation process that I will experience in the coming week.

2. ckpatel24

ckpatel24 New Member

its pretty simple...pre-order it online at Apple.com and enter your mom information (i.e. her number account info, etc.) and once the phone comes to you on the 21st, open the box and before you turn it on, pull the sim card out that is in the phone and put yours from your 4S and put it in the iPhone 5. then turn the phone on and follow the steps and it should be up and running in like 5 minutes! be sure to back up the 4S right before you do this so your iPhone 5 as all your data from your 4S!, goodluck:)

p.s. i've stolen my parents upgrades in the past on AT&T and it works seamlessly:)

3. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Wow, Thanks but does nt the new iPhone 5 have a microsim card?

4. iphone1027

iphone1027 Member
    Bronze

Im wondering the same thing. I thought the iPhone 5 came w/a microSIM card?

5. Jesse Gonzalez

Jesse Gonzalez New Member

I think since the iPhone 4, all models have had the microSIM card so you should be all set.

6. Lamacja

Lamacja New Member

We have 3 lines on our plan and twice have bought phones through the AT&T store and they will let you right there use an upgrade from a different line. I had already gotten a new phone so my hubs used my upgrade last February. I would say is to preorder using other phone line and then walk in to AT&T and get your sim transferred over to nano sim currently they don't charge anything when you get a new sim (at least they never have for me) but I'm my sure if the nano sim would be different with it being newer

Oops edit called the new nanosim a microsim