Using backup disc's for iTunes

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Ok, so hopefully I can explain this in the right way, since I'm so new to iTunes and all, so my question is this, I have a limited amount of space on my current laptop, and one of things I don't like about iTunes is that I can't put videos I buy onto a dvd, and I don't have the space to keep buying videos and not be able to keep them, so can I make multiple back up disc's as I go along adding to my library, and my goal here in the future is to get an Imac, can I add each back up disc to iTunes again later? Or can you only add one? And what happens if you have overlapping stuff on more than one disc if you can? I hope I am making sense, and thanks for your help? Oh, and making a backup disc perserves the video you bought also on iTunes? Thanks!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ok, so hopefully I can explain this in the right way, since I'm so new to iTunes and all, so my question is this, I have a limited amount of space on my current laptop, and one of things I don't like about iTunes is that I can't put videos I buy onto a dvd, and I don't have the space to keep buying videos and not be able to keep them, so can I make multiple back up disc's as I go along adding to my library, and my goal here in the future is to get an Imac, can I add each back up disc to iTunes again later? Or can you only add one? And what happens if you have overlapping stuff on more than one disc if you can? I hope I am making sense, and thanks for your help? Oh, and making a backup disc perserves the video you bought also on iTunes? Thanks!

I use an external drive to store all my Movies and videos. Just move all of them to a single folder on the new drive. Then when you restart iTunes go into the movies section in iTunes and click each movie and iTunes will ask you to re-locate it and the point it to the new drive folder.

Or just import each movie into iTunes. There you have 2 ways.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well part of the deal is I don't want to use an external drive because I'm putting my extra money towards an iMac and I have tons of blank cd's.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Well part of the deal is I don't want to use an external drive because I'm putting my extra money towards an iMac and I have tons of blank cd's.

A CD will be too small, most movies are 1GB minimum.

External hard drives are cheap. I saw at Fryes Electrons 1Terbit drive for $250 that is cheap. You can get 320gb for $100.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
additionally, external drives are good to have in general. I highly recommend investing in one even if it will set your imac purchase back a bit.

if you do decide to use the backup disc route, you can choose to backup only iTunes Store files to keep the size of the backup down, and after the initial backup, you can choose to only backup files added or changed since the last one. That way you won't have to worry about the overlapping.

If you do put purchases on a new computer, you will have to "authorize" that computer to use the iTunes purchases. You can do this with a total of 5 computers.