Using Facebook via browser alone and uninstalling app may improve battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Rafagon, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Facebook is again being criticized for iPhone battery drain issues. A non-scientific experiment performed by technology reporter Samuel Gibbs of The Guardian suggests ditching the app may result in considerable battery power savings. He also mentions "large gains in free space, since the deleted app had consumed 500MB in total of his iPhone's capacity. Gibbs chalks most of that up to Facebook's cache, owing to the fact that the app itself is only a 111MB download."

I just checked the storage space being used by the app, and indeed, it's caching an enormous amount of FB crap—almost ⅓ of a gigabyte, to be exact. Even though I'm not in immediate danger of running out of space on my iPhone, the app is getting the boot right now. What the heck do they want to cache? All of my FB friends' photos and videos for the past month? Advertisements?

fb.jpg

2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I deleted the app months ago. I check the site, via a browser, once in a while. It was a time sink for me anyway. I'd usually come away with a "now I remember why I don't do Facebook anymore" moment nearly every time i visit the site.

My battery performance does seem to be better or maybe just that my life seems better. I know my blood pressure is better. <GRIN>

YMMV

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

4. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Well, thank you, very much, I'm going to ditch Facebook right now.

5. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Done, done and done

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The Facebook client Friendly+ offers more than the browser and doesn't behave as the Facebook app. I rather like it. You can add multiple accounts and color themes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Just sign out, then sign back in. Cache gone.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Really? I did not know this. Thank you for sharing!

9. jerry addon

jerry addon New Member

facebook client friendly offer more than the browser and does not behave as the facebook app . i like it you can add multiple account and color themes of different types.