Using Find My iPhone for all my phones

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by dntsdad, Jan 10, 2012.

1. dntsdad

dntsdad New Member

I hope this is the right place first of all.

I have 4 iPhone4's on my account and just recently updated all of them to ios5 and gained the iCloud and Find My iPhone. When I set them all up I turned on iCloud and installed Find My iPhone.

This created a problem because we all share the same Apple ID so all of our contacts, notes, calander, etc. were all merged on what was on one phone was on every phone. Certainly I don't want all my kid's contacts and my wife's notes on everyone's phone.

What was good about this, and the only thing, was that when I opened the Find My iPhone app, I could "see" all of our devices (4iPhones and an iPad) and locate them all. While this was perfect, all the downside of contacts, notes, etc. being merged was too much negative.

What I did then, after calling Apple for help, was to create Apple ID's for all of them. Restored them all and entered in individual Apple ID's for each phone. that solved my problem of all of the information being merged, but now I cant use the Find My iPhone across all my devices which is a top priority here.

I want to be able to use my phone to "see" all the other devices. I'd like to be able to see where my kiddo is at a glance, and if my wife or I were to set our phone down in a store, it would be nice to locate it with each other's phone.

I can't even figure out how to access her iCloud from my iPhone browser to track it. It seems the only way is to come all the way home and use my PC. I even tried installing a few fidderent browsers on the iPhone to get around the ID string or whatever its called to trick iCloud into thinking this isn't a moblie device. NO luck.

I have also installed Find My Friends on all the phones and that is nothing but fail. I am not sure if everyone else in my group has to have the app open (which would make it useless) but I can never locate anyone.

So my question is, is there a way to link all my devices to Find My iPhone with merging all the contacts and other info?

Thanks and I know this is long but wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Download and install the free Find My iPhone App from the App Store.

3. dntsdad

dntsdad New Member

thanks for the reply first of all.

How is that different that installing the Find My iPhone app that I already have installed? Would I have to do anything special to merge all the phones together?

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Since they are all different ID's and passwords now you will have to use the App to login to each one separately. You can use the new shortcut feature to speed up logging in the ID, but it won't work with passwords.

5. Misie

Misie Member
    Bronze

You can have as many iCloud accounts as you want. What I have done with 2 of my iPhone's and an iPad was used my iTunes I'd and password and opened another iCloud acc and added it to all devices and now I can find any of them on all devices. Hope this makes sense and helps.

6. Misie

Misie Member
    Bronze

Btw we share our iTunes account and just check off the things we want or don't want when syncing them. So we all know the password and id.

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep, this.

You could create a separate Apple ID for the sole purpose of using Find My iPhone on all of the devices with one ID. You'd set this up on each device as a second iCloud account and only switch on "Find My iPhone". Then, that would be the account that you'd log onto with the Find My iPhone app or website.