Using hotmail on the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
So, what about hotmail users... can that be used as your main email set-up on the iPhone? Admittedly I'm a novice and unclear about how that stuff works.... if someone can elaborate I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

In quality of Italian I can say that hotmail chat service here in Italy is HUGE: all teens have an account (like me :p ) and I can tell ya that it's really sad not to be able to use my account with iChat (only with a Jabber transport, but it's kinda criple service), I have to use 2 apps, iChat for .Mac contacts and Adium for MSN contacts

I don't know if hotmail email will be supported, but I think it will

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
So, what about hotmail users... can that be used as your main email set-up on the iPhone? Admittedly I'm a novice and unclear about how that stuff works.... if someone can elaborate I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
I do not use hotmail so I can't say for sure. What I can say is if hotmail allows access via POP3 or IMAP, you will be able to use it with your iPhone.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Well if anyone else who uses hotmail knows, please share the info :)
Thanks for the feedback!
I did a little more research into this and according to what I found hotmail does allow POP3 access. Here are the server names that you will need to set it up:
POP3 Server: pop3hot.com
SMTP Server: pop3hot.com
The only other thing you should need is your user name and password.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
From what I know hotmail doesn't offer POP3 or IMAP, so you can't use your iPhone's Email or any other mail program unless you spend money for the hotmail Plus. That reason alone is why I switched to gmail, so now I can use Mail to do all my email and it's ad free!

Bronze
Apr 9, 2008
colorado
what about gmail.....and google for the iPod touch?
thanks ron cathers
is it availible through the safari icon on the iPod touch and transferable to my iPod touch?

thanks ron

thefly2u

Sep 21, 2008
I did a little more research into this and according to what I found hotmail does allow POP3 access. Here are the server names that you will need to set it up:
POP3 Server: pop3hot.com
SMTP Server: pop3hot.com
The only other thing you should need is your user name and password.

I tried the above and it did not work, if someone was successful at this, can you post?

Sep 21, 2008
I have msn email set up on my iPhone. Heres what I used
Incoming server: pop3.live.com
Outgoing server: smtp.live.com

Use your username and password and mine works just fine and pushes directly to my iPhone.