Using international SIM Card?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Greetings all!

In the near future I may be traveling to Asia, and S. America. iPhone has a Sim Card feature, however, I am told iPhone is designed not to accept foreign SIM cards. I have three questions:

• Is it true?
  • Has anyone used a foreign SIM in there phone?
  • Have my hacker friends found away around it?
Thanks for all the posts, b/e everyday I learn something new here... :cool:

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Greetings all!

In the near future I may be traveling to Asia, and S. America. iPhone has a Sim Card feature, however, I am told iPhone is designed not to accept foreign SIM cards. I have three questions:
  • Is it true?
  • Has anyone used a foreign SIM in there phone?
  • Have my hacker friends found away around it?
Thanks for all the posts, b/e everyday I learn something new here... :cool:
I would say no..., If it was a international AT&T Sim card like I had in my Last Razor phone. That may work. But any other carriers Sim card won't work.

I have heard of people hacking it, but not sure how successful they've been.

I would say no..., If it was a international AT&T Sim card like I had in my Last Razor phone. That may work. But any other carriers Sim card won't work.

I have heard of people hacking it, but not sure how successful they've been.
There are two ways to use the iPhone abroad:

- Calling with Roaming plans, but it's a non-sense
- Buy a Turbo SIM, hack it to be used in the iPhone and activate it with the carrier of the country you'll go

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles

- Buy a Turbo SIM, hack it to be used in the iPhone and activate it with the carrier of the country you'll go

I have searched the forum, and unable to find anything on this 'turbo SIM'. How do I go about hacking it?:cool:

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007

The "hacking" step is lost on me. Where are there instructions to do this? Is it all available on their website?

The "hacking" step is lost on me. Where are there instructions to do this? Is it all available on their website?
Turbo SIM costs $80 at Bladox’ store, although at the moment they’re experiencing a huge load of orders, so delivery will take longer than usual.

Here the instructions

1. use with A card to get IMSI, ICCID - go to menu Apple Saft->Show to see values (you may write it down), then Apple Saft->Set

2. use with your card
So no cloning, reader, anything else is needed.

First, your phone must be activated (with the AT&T SIM), jailbreaked, and with SSH and vim.

- Download the port of Bladox utilities http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/show…5&postcount=16 on your computer, extract it on your computer (you need the binary file turbo-app)

- Download AppleSaft 0.92 from Bladox (http://www.bladox.com/pub/Applesaft-0.92.tar.gz)

- Turn on your phone with Turbo SIM + AT&T subscription

- Disable CommCenter - ssh to your phone, vim /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist add
Code:

Disabled

for example add it just after these lines, already present in the file
Code:

OnDemand

If you don’t like vim, you can do this modification on your desktop computer (iPhuc/iPhoneInterface getfile, modify the file, and putfile)
vim ultra light survival kit

i : insert mode
ESC : command mode (from insert mode)
dd : delete the current line (in command mode)
:w! : save (in command mode)
:q! : quit (in command mode)

- Reboot

- Copy turbo-app to your phone (for example in /opt/bladox)

- Copy Applesaft.trb to your phone (for example in /tmp)

- ssh to your phone, set the executable permission to turbo-app (chmod a+x
/opt/bladox/turbo-app) and run it with /opt/bladox/turbo-app /tmp/Applesaft.trb. It should take approximately 30 seconds and you shouldn’t see any error. Please panic if you see one

- Reenable CommCenter - ssh to your phone, vim /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist and delete the lines you added previously

- Reboot

- Go into Settings/Phone/SIM Applications/Apple Saft and choose Set

- Turn off your phone

- Turn on your phone with Turbo SIM + your subscription and test

Enjoy :cool: