using iPhone as modem for your laptop/also Bluetooth

beauty129

Jul 11, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to use our iPhones as modems for a macbook?

LOL.. my boyfriend can use his blackberry as a modem for his laptop and he keeps rubbing it in because as far as I know, I can't do that with my iPhone. But I do tell him, I don't need to use it as a modem as my iPhone is a mini laptop! BUT if I can one up him again, I'd be a happy camper.. lolol

Also, My macbook can locate my iPhone when I enable bluetooth but for some odd reason my iPhone doesn't seem to locate my macbook.. any suggestions?

thanks everyone
marisol :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Note that tether does require a jailbroken (hacked) iPhone, and does go against the AT&T contract. It's also possible that if large amounts of data are sent through the iPhone, AT&T will notice and may look into it, even though the plan does have unlimited data.

- John

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
lol
what does it matter if there is large amounts of data being sent?
you could easily browse the internet on the phone the same way you do on a PC so i highly doubt they would take notice

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Note that tether does require a jailbroken (hacked) iPhone, and does go against the AT&T contract. It's also possible that if large amounts of data are sent through the iPhone, AT&T will notice and may look into it, even though the plan does have unlimited data.

- John
John is right. A red flag will go up if data usage is high. It wouldn't surprise me it ATT knows your average usage per month. If it got way above that for a few months, they would want to know why. Tethering is nothing new and a big problem for all cell carriers.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
lol
what does it matter if there is large amounts of data being sent?
you could easily browse the internet on the phone the same way you do on a PC so i highly doubt they would take notice
Think about it. A computer is able to do a whole heck of a lot more than the iPhone at once. The iPhone isn't even supposed to be able to download files. Let's say you're downloading a huge file or two, and browsing several pages. You also have several applications open in the background that are using the internet connection.

- John

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am surprised that AT&T hasn't already reported people to Apple that already have huge download amounts. Anyone with a jailbroken phone that installs and installs and installs software like I do has to have a huge amount of data traffic showing. In fact my "Received" for the Edge Network since my last restore is already 26.5 MB. That would be a lot of web viewing to get that amount in just a few weeks.

astro2

Apr 29, 2009
yet you can

hi, i joined this site just to answer this question

now i'm not a nerd, so i have no idea wtf 'tethering' is

But if you have a 'Jailbroken iPhone' you can download a 3rd party app like PDAiPhone

actually i forgot what its called, "PDA...sumthin" and it makes your phone like a modem i.e you can plug to a laptop/notebook and you get net access

hahaha to you yanks, no wonder why the first iPhone was hacked, i mean PHYSICALLY and soft modded hacked. I saw the video on youtube, and apparently a teenage boy did it, AND according to the boy (on american news) its not illegal to do according to some law

lol at you americans with this AT&T, in my country ALL telephone companies are usable with iPhone so no need for hacking to use another carrier. Although if i DID wanted to change carriers and I was locked, i can just 'unlock' with a hack shown on youtube or just change the bandline of the phone using an exploit

No wonder so many americans complain about iPhone ESPECIALLY about this At&T, that phone company and APPLE are trying to keep you guys on a leesh:mad:

p.s whocares if the iPhone was not meant to download such big files, even if they watch you like a watch dog i highly doubt they have the manpower or patience to monitor EVERYONE

and according to apps made by SMULE with the globe feature eg. ocarina everyone i've talked are usually americans....LOTS, try to track THAT

pps who says the iPhone was not meant for large files like that? have you seen the free tv shows and clips you can get off iTunes, they are not plausible to download without wifi...even its wifi, the data goes through the iPhone so i think they would know, yet no complaints so far so i dbout they are watching

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Tethering is a beautiful thing... Can use my lappytop on long road trips now ;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, just jailbreak and use PDANet. It has a 10 day free trial and then costs $29. As long as you don't download huge files and only use it occasionally, you should be fine. It's very easy to use.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Umm...3.0 will allow you to tether, for free. I'm on 3.0 beta4 right now and can tether just fine with the updated ipcc file.

(see software forum for details on 'how')

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's free!? That's cool, but I bet it won't say that way. I would have thought you would need the AT&T tethering plan. I thought I remembered someone saying it was around $25 a month.

Anyway, if you don't have the 3.0 beta and need tethering for the next 2 months (before 3.0 is released), PDAnet is worth the money.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
ok i just lol'd at that dudes rant a few posts ago. especially since that is his only post. he joined the forum to call us stupid yanks! :)

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Tethering plan will be needed...if ATT catches you. Though if you're only doing light surfing through tether they'll probably never know.