Using iPhone on two different PC's. Home and Work.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jayrep

Jul 30, 2007
The Second City
Hello there. This is my first post, so if someone already has posted this question I haven't seen it.

Anyways, I get my iPhone tomorrow and was wondering if the iPhone works the same as the iPOD when it comes to only using it on one computer. I know on the iPOD you can set it up not to automatically sync and just drag and drop files and then sync it.

There are obvious advantages to syncing with home pc, but also many advantages to playing with my phone while at work! Of course I don't want my files cleared everytime I plug it into a different pc.

Help please!

trant01

Jul 14, 2007
Hello there. This is my first post, so if someone already has posted this question I haven't seen it.

Anyways, I get my iPhone tomorrow and was wondering if the iPhone works the same as the iPOD when it comes to only using it on one computer. I know on the iPOD you can set it up not to automatically sync and just drag and drop files and then sync it.

There are obvious advantages to syncing with home pc, but also many advantages to playing with my phone while at work! Of course I don't want my files cleared everytime I plug it into a different pc.

Help please!
You know I have the same problem as you. But I have yet to find a workaround. I guess the best solution would be if Apple updates the iPhone to support a disk mode on the device. Outside of that the iPhone can only be sync'ed with 1 pc for now. If you find a solution please post it up. I'm sure we're not the only people with this problem.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This is probably not what you are looking for, but according to posts I've read on Apple's forums you can at least sync iTunes stuff (music, vids, etc.) to one PC yet sync PIM data (contacts, calendar) to another.

--
Mike

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
This is probably not what you are looking for, but according to posts I've read on Apple's forums you can at least sync iTunes stuff (music, vids, etc.) to one PC yet sync PIM data (contacts, calendar) to another.

--
Mike
That is *exactly* what I need. I keep my music on my home computer, but use an Outlook calendar at work and need those appointments sync'd. Do you remember what the thread you were reading was called?

Quagmire

Jul 29, 2007
That is *exactly* what I need. I keep my music on my home computer, but use an Outlook calendar at work and need those appointments sync'd. Do you remember what the thread you were reading was called?
What I do with mine is tell I Tunes to synch music when I dock it at home and synch outlook when I dock it at work. It's pretty easy. When you pull up your I phone select only the stuff you want to synck and unselect the other stuff. So the same at home.

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
You can do that. I'll dig up the thread for you...

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
I have this exact setup.

I activated the phone at work, and synced my Outlook, etc. then plugged in the phone at home and synced the media. Pretty simple. Now when I sync it, I just click on "Merge Data" and all of my contacts, mail, calendar sync to both computers and the phone.

G

smak

Jul 19, 2007
Ditto here.

At home I sync podcasts, tunes and video.

At work I sync calendar & contacts.

Works like a charm.

-smak-