Using iPhone to remotely control Mac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wellsws

Jul 13, 2007
Seattle, WA
I found a couple programs that will remotely (over wi-fi) control my Mac. One is called Signal and lets you control iTunes. The other is called iPhone Remote and lets you browse your Mac. The problem I'm having is that I can't see either one using my iPhone. They both are set up as a program that is runs in the background, then on the iPhone you're supposed to input the IP address and then a port. Over my local wi-fi is should work, but it's not. I can see it if I put in the IP address and port in Safari on my Mac, but it won't show up using the iPhone version of Safari. Any ideas how to get it to work. They both look like cool programs to use. I can see a use in my house for both of them. Any help would be appreciated. I'm using a cable modem connection with a dynamic IP address and a Airport Express.

Thanks!

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I saw something like this surface from a google developer thing. It was a great idea, but at the end of the day I didn't like the idea of it until its fully secure (it was an alpha release).

Here is the link for the google app:

http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

It does work great over wi-fi, not so much over edge. But just like you said, it is in so way secure yet, so not something you want to be running every day.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Wow... Talk about raising the dead, this thread's last post before yours was 7/25/07. Since then, there are dozens of Apps in the App Store that allow remote access to a MAC or PC and far more functionality than what the OP was discussing.

So I am curious, why the resurrection?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yeah, I reported it after looking at other posts where all they said was " Hm...interesting".
Spam blow, but luckily they didn't post any links.