using iPhone without phone activation?

Jul 19, 2007
ok- this is a stupid question. I have yet to actually see an iPhone, but I REALLY want one. I am under verizon contract until March, SO I wanted to know if I got the iPhone now- can you use the ipod or any other features, like the calendar without activating phone service?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
ok- this is a stupid question. I have yet to actually see an iPhone, but I REALLY want one. I am under verizon contract until March, SO I wanted to know if I got the iPhone now- can you use the ipod or any other features, like the calendar without activating phone service?
No..an iPhone has to be activated before any of the features can be used. However, after a phone is activated and the sim is removed, all of the features can be used. essentially you can activate service, terminate your contract and then the iPhone features except for the phone will still work (of course you will have a hefty termination fee to pay). So you do not have to have active service on one to continue using the iPod and wi-fi...BUT before one can be used an initial activation has to occur on the phone.

Jul 19, 2007
Thanks! I figured as much. Might as well just terminate with Verizon and go ahead and enjoy iPhone in its full glory! :)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks! I figured as much. Might as well just terminate with Verizon and go ahead and enjoy iPhone in its full glory! :)
thats what i did :) I loved Verizon but i was tired of their crappy lineup of phones. AT&T has been pretty good so far however.