Using my iPhone in the UK

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
This fall I'm goign to be going to college abroad for a semester in the UK (currently reside in USA) and I want to know if and how I can use my iPhone over there, or if it's not worth doing. I'm guessing even if I did get some kind of a thing with a local cell phone company over there it wouldn't be cheap to make calls to the US right?

All info is appreciated.

I do not have my phone unlocked or jailbroken. For the time being I want to stay within the rules and policies etc.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
You are right, it would not be cheap to call USA. You could consider the O2 Simplicity sim card which is on a 30 day contract at £15 a month but for data you would need a bolt on which is another £7.50 a month (unlimited - within reason - and they think 200mb is reasonable usage). Still, for a package it is not cheap. Someone else might come up with a better deal for you. This all presumes that your iPhone is unlocked!

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
This all presumes that your iPhone is unlocked!
My iPhone is NOT unlocked and I plan to keep it that way for the time being. But doesn't AT&T give you the ability to unlock it if you're traveling overseas?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you're wanting to stay on AT&T then the only viable option is going to be to subscribe to the International Voice Roaming plan. It's $5.99 a month and reduces the per minute charges for most European countries down to $0.99. Your friends and family can dial you simply by using your regular phone number with the area code and will cost them no extra money, which is good. I use the plan when I go abroad and it has worked out better than unlocking and using an international SIM.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Out of all the calls you make in the UK, what percentage will be calls to the US, and what percentage will be calls within the UK to other UK people? Are you really going to be calling the US that much? If so, then get a calling card and dial out using one of them. Do you really want to be paying 99c a minute? Is it really going to kill your friends & family in the US to pay 2c a minute to call the UK, so you can save 99c a minute?

If you do not want to unlock your iPhone, then you're pretty much SOL. Roaming plans are designed for people that are mainly traveling for businesss and do not plan to stay overseas for any extended period of time. If you plan to stay for say more than a week, then you're better off buying a local SIM. The UK market is mainly pay-as-you-go (not many monthly plans), so pick up a cheap phone while you're out there and just use that. Every cell phone company in the UK now offers SIM cards for free. You just top them up and off you go.

But either way. You're still going to be paying your AT&T monthly bill whilst you're out in the UK right?

You may also want to read the small print on AT&Ts roaming plans:

"You may not be able to place calls to international destinations other than United States while roaming in this country. Calls can be completed within the visited country and back to the United States.

This fall I'm goign to be going to college abroad for a semester in the UK (currently reside in USA) and I want to know if and how I can use my iPhone over there, or if it's not worth doing. I'm guessing even if I did get some kind of a thing with a local cell phone company over there it wouldn't be cheap to make calls to the US right?

All info is appreciated.

I do not have my phone unlocked or jailbroken. For the time being I want to stay within the rules and policies etc.