Using original iPhone car charger on iPhone 3G?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

khong1010

Sep 7, 2007
Does anyone know if I can use a car charger I bought for the original iPhone on iPhone 3G? I've tried to use it and noticed that the phone does not get charged well if not charged at all. I had the phone connected to car charger and running apps/map and saw battery warning sign.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
well you pretty much answere your own question lol. but yeah its a problem with the new iPhone it doesn't work with many chargeres or docks and speakers that worked for the original iPhone because they changed a pin or sumting in the dock port on the iPhone. somone else can prob explain this more than i can but thats basicly it

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
^^^^
I bought a DLO the day after I 3G launch/purchase. The thing works great on my 3G. Charges quick, too.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have one of these installed in my vehicle and charges my iPod & V1 iPhone no problems at all. But when I plug my new 3G into this, there is a message on my iPhone saying it cannot be charged with this unit and do I want to place the phone into flight mode. Sound comes out quite happily from my 3G iPhone onto my car's sound system, but it just won't charge the phone. Guess I will have to go back to a traditional in-car charger.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Well I have the griffin power jolt for the v1 iPhone and i notice sometimes it charges and other times it shows the little icon on the battery that indicates its fully charged, when it actually isn't

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I have one of these installed in my vehicle and charges my iPod & V1 iPhone no problems at all. But when I plug my new 3G into this, there is a message on my iPhone saying it cannot be charged with this unit and do I want to place the phone into flight mode. Sound comes out quite happily from my 3G iPhone onto my car's sound system, but it just won't charge the phone. Guess I will have to go back to a traditional in-car charger.
Interesting.

I have a similar device but mine is from Peripheral Electronics called the PXDP and it worked/charged my iPod v1 and Touch just fine as well as my 3G. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to charge the 3G as quickly as it did the v1 but then again the 3G is a beast with battery juice anyways. I get the same "do you want to put it in flight mode" message on both my v1 and 3G iPhones but I just say no and continue as normal.