Using original iPhone car charger on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by khong1010, Jul 30, 2008.

1. khong1010

khong1010 New Member

Does anyone know if I can use a car charger I bought for the original iPhone on iPhone 3G? I've tried to use it and noticed that the phone does not get charged well if not charged at all. I had the phone connected to car charger and running apps/map and saw battery warning sign.

2. thedunn805

thedunn805 New Member
    Bronze

Yeah I noticed that too

3. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

What kind/brand charger is it? I have a Griffin PowerJolt that I got with my first generation iPhone and it works perfectly with my 3G iPhone as well.

4. khong1010

khong1010 New Member

i have griffin power duo. I just found out it was made for ipod. Maybe that's why my phone wasn't charged well.

5. Ace4261991

Ace4261991 New Member
    Silver

well you pretty much answere your own question lol. but yeah its a problem with the new iPhone it doesn't work with many chargeres or docks and speakers that worked for the original iPhone because they changed a pin or sumting in the dock port on the iPhone. somone else can prob explain this more than i can but thats basicly it

6. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

any charging device that uses the fire wire pin to charge, will not charge the iPhone 3G.

7. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

My old DLO car charger that I bought for my first gen iPhone charges my 3G beautifully.

8. Tex

Tex New Member
    Silver

^^^^
    I bought a DLO the day after I 3G launch/purchase. The thing works great on my 3G. Charges quick, too.

9. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

Interesting that you pointed that out. It actually charges my 3G much quicker than it did my first gen iPhone.

10. kisstine

kisstine Zealot
    Gold

I find that my 3G charges more quickly than my v1 did no matter where I plug it in. Pretty cool. :)

11. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

I have one of these installed in my vehicle and charges my iPod & V1 iPhone no problems at all. But when I plug my new 3G into this, there is a message on my iPhone saying it cannot be charged with this unit and do I want to place the phone into flight mode. Sound comes out quite happily from my 3G iPhone onto my car's sound system, but it just won't charge the phone. Guess I will have to go back to a traditional in-car charger.

12. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Well I have the griffin power jolt for the v1 iPhone and i notice sometimes it charges and other times it shows the little icon on the battery that indicates its fully charged, when it actually isn't

13. Runamuck

Runamuck New Member
    Bronze

Interesting.

I have a similar device but mine is from Peripheral Electronics called the PXDP and it worked/charged my iPod v1 and Touch just fine as well as my 3G. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to charge the 3G as quickly as it did the v1 but then again the 3G is a beast with battery juice anyways. I get the same "do you want to put it in flight mode" message on both my v1 and 3G iPhones but I just say no and continue as normal.