Using Starbucks WiFi?

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Has anyone had any problems using their iPhone with the AT&T WiFi at Starbucks? I am using it through the rewards program where you get free WiFi if you use a Starbucks card to buy your coffee. About half the time, I can't seem to get connected. It actually shows I'm connected to AT&T WiFi, but when I go into Safari, it tries to pull up the AT&T login screen but never makes it. The little progress bar stops at about 25% and never goes any further. Like I said this happens about half the time. Has anyone else experienced this. I have no problems at all using my iPhone with the WiFi at my home. Maybe I need to try a different Starbucks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was visiting Starbucks recently and this happened to me no matter how many times I tried to get it to load. I didn't have time to deal with it though so I'm hoping it was a one time occurrence. If it connects most of the time then it could just be bad connection strength or something similar.

Dec 18, 2007
Danbury, CT
I have to ask if you are trying to use the free WiFi more than once a day. The way the Starbucks Rewards program works is that you get 2 free hours of WiFi a day, but it has to be at once. You can't leave and then try to re-log in later.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think the free Starbucks wifi will kick in after 7/11. There have been some legal entanglements with T-Mo as well.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I have to ask if you are trying to use the free WiFi more than once a day. The way the Starbucks Rewards program works is that you get 2 free hours of WiFi a day, but it has to be at once. You can't leave and then try to re-log in later.
Just once a day and then less than 2 hours. Like I said, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I've checked my Starbucks Rewards login ID and password and they are correct. But it's not getting me even that far. I'm going to try a different Starbucks tomorrow and see if that helps. Maybe it's some type of router configuration problem. And of course the folks at Starbucks are no help at all. They just say, it should be working.

Dec 18, 2007
Danbury, CT
Just once a day and then less than 2 hours. Like I said, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I've checked my Starbucks Rewards login ID and password and they are correct. But it's not getting me even that far. I'm going to try a different Starbucks tomorrow and see if that helps. Maybe it's some type of router configuration problem. And of course the folks at Starbucks are no help at all. They just say, it should be working.
Unfortunately, the wireless at Starbucks runs independently. I work at a Starbucks and nothing was ever told to us about the wireless. It is just "there". Please don't blame the Starbucks partners for not knowing anything about it. I was in a different Starbucks from the one I work in today, and I wasn't able to get on the WiFi from my laptop. For some reason, I could on my iPhone.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
make sure its not your local starbucks..cause it might be close.. S'bucks are closing 600 store for under performance and cuttin 12,000 employees to raise its stock 6 points........wow....shows that they think of themselves before others....

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
I am using the same program and it's working fine at the Starbucks by me.

You are selecting the att.net choice to enter your ID and password, right?

Dec 18, 2007
Danbury, CT
make sure its not your local starbucks..cause it might be close.. S'bucks are closing 600 store for under performance and cuttin 12,000 employees to raise its stock 6 points........wow....shows that they think of themselves before others....
It's not just to raise the stock... the stores that are closing are not profitable. If you owned a businesss and it didn't make money, you'd have to close it also. As far as 12,000 people being out of work, Starbucks is going to transfer as many as possible to other local stores. Those that are out of work will get some sort of severance pay... including part-timers.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The progress bar lock up happens to me all the time. I usually just stop (with the X beside the address bar) and refresh. 90% of the time, it moves on to the next page. I think its using some sort of java Applet to lock into the service, and it seems to hang during the transition between apps.

This morning it didn't work. They were having their pastry cooler serviced, and it used the same ciruit breaker as the router. As soon as he flipped the breaker back on, I had wireless.

Jul 1, 2008
Is this a joke? You do realize the point of a businesss is to be profitable, right? And as a publicly traded company, Starbucks has a responsibility and obligation to their shareholders to do everything they can to maximize that profitability.