Using the iPhone 5 Abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FlyersPhanatic9, Jan 3, 2013.

1. FlyersPhanatic9

Bronze

Hey guys, I have a few questions about using my iPhone 5 abroad, any help is greatly appreciated!
    I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5.
    In the next week I will be traveling to Amsterdam, Prague and Berlin before settling in London for 4 months to study abroad.
    My question is: what would my best strategy be for getting my iPhone to work in the first three countries and also in London?

Thanks!

2. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

To get it to work: Call AT&T and ask for international roaming to be turned on.

To not have to pay a zillion dollars?: Wifi and some voip app (like skype) so you don't have to pay for roaming.

For the four months: get your iPhone unlocked and get a UK sim

3. FlyersPhanatic9

Bronze

I actually got my phone Unlocked for the exact purpose of not using AT&Ts international roaming.
    I mainly want to use my phone for internet and texting.

After doing some research I think I will be buying a SIM from Three or GiffGaff for my time in London, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for this first week that I will be there hopping from Amsterdam to Prague and Berlin?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll save a ton of money if you get prepaid SIM cards in each country you visit. This is a much better/cheaper option than paying AT&T roaming charges. Yes, you should be able to get them in Amsterdam, Prague and Berlin.

The only downside is that you'll have a new/temporary number with each card instead of your normal number, but you can text the number to the people who will need it.

Have fun! That sounds like an awesome trip.