using WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'm actually having terrible problems getting the wifi to work. I can't connect to my own. I've rebooted everything several times and I get nothing. I can connect sporadically on my neighbor's wifi, but that's not working so well either. I've tuned wifi off and on again in settings, tried forgetting my network and starting over. Clearly I'm doing something wrong and I have no idea what it is.

Anyone?

Jun 30, 2007
check your wep key. you may need to look at the bottom of your modem gfor your access code that lets you into the network. should be a 7 to 10 digit number. try that.

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've got my router set up so its not secure. Shouldn't I not need any kind of keys or passwords?

I don't even know what WEP is.

Jun 30, 2007
i've read all the fix's to the wifi problem but unfortunately i cant get any resolution either. in fact.. the only thing i can surf on wifi is the google site.. lol

we need a new fix/help!

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
wifi has been a bit of a hassle for me as well. I finally got it working well at my place, but i went to my parents to try it out and it would contect to the wifi for a second then go immediately back to edge.

Then while surfing with edge (which isn't terrible when you have 4-5 bars btw) the safari browser would suddenly close and send me to the home screen. Plus a bunch of couldn't find the server errors and also the iPhone itself hard hung and i had to reset (holding the home and sleep buttons) a couple times.

I'm back at my place now and i'm having no problems again. So I guess the iPhone may need to work on some compatibility issues with wifi networks.

Ljp

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've managed to get CNN a few times. This is incredibly frustrating.

Question-When I have the wifi turned on, will it only try that? The only time I see Edge working is when I've got wifi turned off. Doesn't it automatically know to switch to Edge if it can't connect to the server for hte page your trying to get via wifi?

liquid5170

Jun 30, 2007
I have a linksys wrt54gs router and i have turned my wep password off, i've gone through all the channels and have rebooted the router along with the iPhone numerous times and WALA... still only google. lol

Jun 20, 2007
I was having the same problem so I read somewhere (don't remember where) that when you put a $ before your we key pass it fixes the problem for some reason LOL! I was getting so frustrated and I did this and it worked fine! Just make sure you forget the wifi setting first :)

liquid5170

Jun 30, 2007
robert, that's great and all but i've managed to bypass the entire step with the password and choose to not password protect my access and it STILL doesn't work....

liquid5170

Jun 30, 2007
on the phone with the lady, she obviously has no clue on how to fix this problem...

lets try with the next solution.. any other takers?

babingha

Jun 30, 2007
Well I think that it may be an issues with the wireless routers. I was having problems and went to the Apple store and guess what. It worked like a champ. Then back home and nothing. I assume that there will be a list of compatible routers coming soon.. :mad:dam.. I love my iPhone :) :p

Jun 20, 2007
got some ideas for you guys totally forget the wifi setting unplug your router and leave it unplugged for about 1 Min. In the mean time turn wifi off on your phone reset your phone using the reset method (home plus sleep). Now turn your router back on and let it fully reboot, then turn on your phone. Go into wifi and turn it on but when it finds your router do not select it. Instead go to other and type in your router name just like it is when it would find it. Now, under security go to wep hex or ASCII. Under that password should appear so put in your wep key or pass with the $ before the pass ex. $gyd34hu and then hit save. This is what I did and I have been enjoying wifi ever since. Hope this helps!

Types from iPhone ; )

liquid5170

Jun 30, 2007
not for me... lol but i've entirely given up tonight. it's 10pm here on a saturday night the weekend before the 4th and i'm trying to fix my iPhone.. yup, officially lame! i'm going drinking...