Using Your iPhone In Your Job

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
How much or how little do you use the iPhone as a tool in your job?

Will this change when Exchange support and some better security and apple-approved apps come along this summer?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Great topic

I use my iPhone at work all the time... but it has nothing to do with my job..
Wait I am wrong I write my schedule down in the calendar and sometimes take notes on the yellow notepad...

Most of the time I am taking pics of stuff at work, and checking travian and my fantasy baseball team

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Actually, quite a bit.

Working at a studio, I find the multimedia stuff very useful. The computers we use are on the internet, but safari cannot access the audio hardware that's actually routed to the speakers (Pro Tools HD) so if I need to look up a song as a mix reference, I'm seeqpodding on the iPhone. Clients freak out when I stream the song in question within seconds of them bringing it up. "So you want the strings to sound like this, then?" I've already carved away the 1/8" plug to the aux in jack on our monitoring system, so A/B'ing with the iPhone is easy.

Lately, I've been completely justifying my jailbreak by using Pianist to find target notes while tuning vocals (yes, we do that a lot as you may or may not know). I also use it to give guide tones to vocalists when doing harmonies. Hearing that note ring out on a piano somehow works like magic for them. And it's always there. Love it.

I also take pictures of gear for mix recalls .... showing me where the dials are. I then email them to myself, retrieve them on the computer (I don't bother with iTunesing with my phone at work), and save them to the session folder. Easier than writing down the position of all those knobs.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh yeah, and I surf on my s*** breaks.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah life would pretty much suck without it.

One other big thing is it's kept me from buying a laptop. That's huge, considering how much a computer geek I've always been. I don't even want one right now.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes, my breaks have gotten a lot longer since the iPhone.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I was in the can watching a comedy special that I bought when a co worker was like ,
" are you ok in there ? "

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I walk around my sales floor with my iPhone and we are not suppose to be seen with it on the floor.. yep I am a manager and I lead by example lol

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
If I didn't have the calendar and contacts on my phone I'd be lost at my job. It's bad enough that I've set up my work email on my iPhone (since I've got exchange at work and the 2.0 beta) and it's so incredibly nice. I don't even use outlook anymore unless I have to write a really long email. It's so nice just to have things work and have my email and calendar anywhere I am.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm using my iPhone as a pseudo blackberry replacement. My government blackberry (2nd one) feels cheap, has a display that won't stay lit, and can't render worth its weight in lithium. I've created an Outlook rule to forward my e-mail to my iPhone. Been working real well. I've even *72'd my blackberry and office phone to my iPhone. :)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My job keeps me at computer all day, so I do not use my iPhone much at work. I do use to call my boss (or he calls me) regarding a tech question or sale of some sort. My boss is my BIL. He has an iPhone, too.

It does sit on my desk on its cute blue polka dot iPlop, though.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
My company wont let me use Exchange to get my work emails for security reasons. It sure would be nice to be able to check my emails on the iPhone. So now Im limited to using it on my crap breaks like everyone else.
This is disapointing to say the least, having my work emails on my phone would make me more productive, but nope, they wont have it.
Did I mention I work for AT&T? I had to fill out exemption forms and get manager approval and still got denied.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm starting to get nervous, here. With all of you guys using your iPhones when you sit on the pot, there's going to be a huge line out the door.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
i just got back from the crapper its the best part of my day since the iPhone ! i also use it to take notes on invintory of stuff i need to order and my work e-mail is tied to it :cool:

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
i use my iPhone during breaks, at lunch, etc. I used to use a blackberry for work email replication but that just got cumbersome managing the mail.
the upside was that i could see any crisi projects and/or messages come in and either act on them or be prepared to act on them while away rom the office. A priceless functionality in IT/Telecomm.

I blv it is just a matter of time before Apple/iPhone go for that market. It would pull the rug out from under RIM/Blackberry and give the iPhone a "new to them" niche market that is booming, trendy, and on the go.

Thanks for asking.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
as most of us do i usually get the most use of my iPhone while at work on my crap breaks but i do a lot of texting throughout the day also...i never really texted with my old phone i had a nextel and anyone who's had a nextel knows why i didn't text often with it...i think i use my iPhone more at work than i do throughout the rest of my day...