UTMS / SIM card problems!

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
I was just told by ATT that you have a matched IMEI / SIM SN betwixt the devices, so you can't take the SIM out of the iPhone and put it into another GSM device!

I was also told that once you switch to the iPhone plan that the service is no loger UTMS compatable! So I can't switch the sim between my iPhone and HTC Hermes!

So once you get the iPhone data plan you are EDGE ONLY! NO UTMS! If this is true this is a catastrophic mis-step on Job's part. I'm a huge Apple fan, been one from the 80's but the great thing about GMS phones is if you destroy one you can just swap the sim, or in my case if you have antennas and amplifiers for one while you travel you just pop the sim into the other phone... if you can't do this with iPhone it's a looser... on hold with Apple right now... good grief.. I'm also 7th in line...

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Just passing it on, that's all

Your name says it all

I'm a wildlife photographer, I'm a fool for waterfowl, wow.. didn't expect such a terse response, just passing on what ATT told me... I'm waiting to hear from Apple, I mean I'm an Apple fan, but wow! that's harsh man...

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm a wildlife photographer, I'm a fool for waterfowl, wow.. didn't expect such a terse response, just passing on what ATT told me... I'm waiting to hear from Apple, I mean I'm an Apple fan, but wow! that's harsh man...
Don't take it personally. There are a lot of people who come to this site and sign up just to say bad things about the iPhone. It gets pretty annoying after a while.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
Please excuse ebrunn, we're all a little on edge today with it being iday, yes I said iday....LOL and there have been some people posting iPhone hate messages and since you are new to the forum he probably mistook you for one of them.... Welcome to ei!

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
OH.

Don't take it personally. There are a lot of people who come to this site and sign up just to say bad things about the iPhone. It gets pretty annoying after a while.

OK, sorry I was looking for someone to tell me I was wrong. I do a lot of travel into remote areas, both of my cars have high power antenna on them and amplifiers so I can get cell service at all. I travel about 120miles a day and I frequently am plugged into an amp in the car. I don't think there is an external antenna jack on the iPhone so I was hoping to be able to switch the sim if I got into a weak signal area. I can live without the UTMS (Have it on my laptop card anyway) and without the active sync and all of that fun stuff, I'm still going to buy it.. but I'll get another account under my family plan before I loose the ability to use my antenna and my Hermes...

No longer taking it personally.. hahahahahha

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I guess its just getting to me having to stare at the iPhone display repeating its self for the past 9 hours.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
I guess its just getting to me having to stare at the iPhone display repeating its self for the past 9 hours.
i understand COMPLETLY! Well, I can't seem to get Apple on the phone.. so I guess I'm rolling the dice... guess I'll probably get another line on the family plan or something.. or perhaps the folks at the store can answer that for me.. oh wait.. hahahahahaha, no they won't be able to tell me...

I'm buying one regardless I guess, but man it will be a pain if I have to pay a $175 early termination fee to go back to my Hermes if I can't get good signal coverage.. still I was the first on the list in my home-town.. and they actually were going to honor it because I got them to start the list in january, but they called me Wednesday to tell me to get my chair, my cooler and my shorts on to wait... still think it's going to be an AWESOME phone.. but I went through 8 treo's before the Hermes... some cell radios just don't work so well in the bushes....

Good luck to all of us.. and I'd love to be in the ATT noc at 9:30PM est when the 400,000 iPhones come onto the edge network all at once! OUCH!

HDS

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Atlanta
www.captnjacksparrow.com
Duckfool, theres a really cool thing coming out in a few months that really kicks some mega butts. Its called the Mogostick.It’s a signal repeater for anything wireless. And its small enough to fit in your pocket

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
...Good luck to all of us.. and I'd love to be in the ATT noc at 9:30PM est when the 400,000 iPhones come onto the edge network all at once! OUCH!
I was just thinking that same thing earlier today...
"New EDGE Speeds", smedge speeds; when everyone gets on... let's hope it's all good.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
Confirmed It Works!

I spoke with a bunch of folks at Apple and ATT today without a definitive answer..

I pulled the SIM on my iPhone and put it back in my hermes, worked like a charm...

Whew!