v1: Going with t-mobile, First steps?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
When I get my iPhone I plan to take it to T-mobile to get it activated since I don't have 3G coverage, nor do I have have the money to spend an extra $10 for a plan that I wont be able to afford the plan I want-600min+unlimited text +data-with my "little" job:p

I want to know what is the first step in getting prepared for setting up and activating the iPhone along with its data working properly?:eek:
-Ya kno I want to make sure that the data and everything works as good as if it were activated on its home carrier At&t

Also with the 2.0 update being released would I be able to unlock it and update to 2.0 or will those kind of cancel each other out:eek:

Thanks
-Any and all replys greatly appreciated

Shanezam203

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
I don't think you would have any success bringing your iPhone into a T-Mobile store.

There are steps on here for getting the v1 unlocked, but you don't need to bring it to a TMO store.

I don't think u would need to go to a tmobile store... You would just need to unlock it with ziPhone or pwn it... And after u do that there's a bunch of tweaks u can add to make it tmobile such as tzone add ons and things of that sort... So your with tmobile right now?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I'm technically with At&t, My contract is up and Im in that "zone" where I can leave right now if i wanted to, or I can up-grade to a blackberry or something. :)
-I have a pre-paid T-mobile sim card but Im not sure if I get that turned into a post-paid plan or whatever?

If I don't go to the T-mobile store how do I get the service activated and the data working?

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
well, you are going to have to sign a new 2-year agreement with T-mobile. If you are ok with that, you need to go to the T-Mo store and get a new phone. You can probably get one for free, a cheepie one to use as a back up. Sign up for whatever voice plan you want, and then make sure to get data. I think you can still use the $5.99 t-zones hack for data on an unlocked iPhone. Do not even mention that you will be using an iPhone, they do not need to know that.

Once you get it all set up, unlock your phone and set it up for t-mo as free said above.

Good luck!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm technically with At&t, My contract is up and Im in that "zone" where I can leave right now if i wanted to, or I can up-grade to a blackberry or something. :)
-I have a pre-paid T-mobile sim card but Im not sure if I get that turned into a post-paid plan or whatever?

If I don't go to the T-mobile store how do I get the service activated and the data working?
Call them and tell them you have a sidekick and then tell them the plan you want to get. Also mention you already have a sim card that you want to activate.

Although, I think you should go to a store, open an account and get a sim card with your number on it already, then stick it in the phone and call and get the plan.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
well, you are going to have to sign a new 2-year agreement with T-mobile. If you are ok with that, you need to go to the T-Mo store and get a new phone. You can probably get one for free, a cheepie one to use as a back up. Sign up for whatever voice plan you want, and then make sure to get data. I think you can still use the $5.99 t-zones hack for data on an unlocked iPhone. Do not even mention that you will be using an iPhone, they do not need to know that.

Once you get it all set up, unlock your phone and set it up for t-mo as free said above.

Good luck!
Wow man I don't know about the 2-year agreement, do they have a 1-year or a thing where like you can pay by the month as you use their service(no-prepaid)? Cause I definitely wanna be their for the v3 launch and being tied down wont make it easy hehe. . .

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Call them and tell them you have a sidekick and then tell them the plan you want to get. Also mention you already have a sim card that you want to activate.

Although, I think you should go to a store, open an account and get a sim card with your number on it already, then stick it in the phone and call and get the plan.
I cant man cause the sidekick uses the $20 dollar Internet plan instead of the t-zones package thing, and I would need a new simcard cause the one I have is pre-paid, unless they can strip that off the simcard from their computers and read it as post-paid card:eek:. . .

So when the time comes I should just call in to T-mobile and set it up? Is that how its been done in the past:eek:
-Correct?

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
jailbreak and unlock phone all the softwear is comming out. the dev team has it with pwnage on their web site. you have too go to the tmo store, you can get flex pay, thats the no contract plan. I pay $50 for mine with total internet. pick the plan and they will put the sim in and test it. they are very happy to see people with iPhones and give you good sevice. tmo is rolling out 3g service.

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
tell them you want flex pay, it's pre-pay you can buy cards all over at stores, pay by the tmo web site. no activation fee, no contract, the sales rep will run down all the plans, what you pick is what you pay. I do not call a lot so I have 300 min with unlimited weekends, I do not text so I keep at least $10 in my flex account for text at 20 cents. I do a lot of surfing the internet so I pay $20 total internet.

you may need other things the sales rep will show you the best for you. take a paper clip with you so they do not have to hunt one down, give them the phone and they can insert the sim and load the info with number on it from there computer.

download all the hacks from installer for tzone, youtube, and youmail for visual email.

that's about it. like I say you need to download the hacks, when I walked out of the store the internet was not working so I found a free wifi at the mall and downloaded the tzone hack and it started working.

go to tmoble.com check it out and find out what kind of signal bars you will get.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Cool man thanks!
-Im just alittle worried about walking into T-mobile WITH AN iPhone and turning me away wa kno:sick:

Also will I have no choice but to pay the 20 dollar total Internet option?
-I "t-zones" was enough:eek: