V1 iPhone or 3G what do you like better.

V1 or 3G iPhone

• V1

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • 3G

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
So what version do you like the aluminum back that doesn't wobble or the Black or white plastic back on the 3G.

I like the aluminum V1 iPhone. I think it just looks nicer.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If it is simply based upon outside appearances then I would say the black 3G. I wanted the original v1 iPhone to be a gloss black so I think they made a great choice doing so for the 3G. There are also aspects of the v1 I like more however.

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
personally i like the white back on the 3g.. :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The original iPhone looked better, but the 3G fits the hand better.
The original was more durable. The 3g is on a faster network with gps.
I loved my V1, but enjoy using my 3G more.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I like the looks and shape of the 3G black plastic back, but the durability and scratches really put me off. I never liked the two-tone look of the V1, but there's no denying it's sturdier. I voted V1.

I'd love to see a flat-black metal case with a slightly "rubberized" texture, if that could be done with metal.

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I've yet to mark up my 3G (hoping I never do!) and it's network speeds are far more faster as well as fitting the hand.

3G ftw.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ive always HATED the two-tone gray and black look of the v1, and when i say hate, i mean with a passion... i just always thought it looked sooooo tacky....

and sure, it may have been studier, but if the plastic really is better for the signal like they say it is, then its definitely a no brainer choosing between the two. i never really drop my phone anyways, and i have invisible shield to protect from scratches.

and i absolutely LOVE the black shiny back of the 3g. the curved edges don't bother me at all when you have it on a table; the touch screen is sensitive enough for you to be able to navigate through anything on it without having to put too much presure for it to "wobble" as they say... and i just feel nicer in your hand.

but it being based purely on looks, defintiely the 3g. heck, they could have made the gray metal on the v1 black instead, and i still wouldve been happy with that... black is just my color... :cool:

seriously, i could go on for HOURS on why i prefer the 3g's looks....

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
and i absolutely LOVE the black shiny back of the 3g. the curved edges don't bother me at all when you have it on a table; the touch screen is sensitive enough for you to be able to navigate through anything on it without having to put too much presure for it to "wobble" as they say... and i just feel nicer in your hand.
This so-called "wobble" phenomenon must be a purely uber-geekish concern.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Just looks I think I would have to say the 3g. I like the shape of it and I also am not a huge fan of the two tone aluminum and black. I like my V1 better though. It is more durable, it doesn't have the problems I read about where people get lint under their screen because of the space between the bezel and the screen. Also, I've said this before and people think I am nuts for it but I'll say it again, I like the recessed headphone jack better. I think the headphone plug is less in the way plus I have had problems with other mp3 players where the jack gets jostled more since the plug sticks out and I would have connection problems, I think the recessed jack is protected more. Go ahead, call me crazy!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if the plastic really is better for the signal like they say it is, then its definitely a no brainer choosing between the two.
the fact that you can't tell if it makes a difference first-hand leads me to believe that was a justification for choosing a cheaper material. I personally prefer the v1 two-tone to the 3G. Plastic is SO 2006...

The other thing is that my daily routine is saturated in wifi... home, school, work, etc. I rarely use the network connection apart from streaming pandora in the car, and EDGE performs just fine for that.

and no one has even mentioned the yellow screens yet...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wasn't gonna go there, because I'm tired of the "mine's not yellow" and "you get used to it" and "it's actually better" responses.

It's yellow. :p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
mine isn't, back when I could compare it to my V1 side by side. there was almost no noticeable difference at all.
maybe I am just special...

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
the fact that you can't tell if it makes a difference first-hand leads me to believe that was a justification for choosing a cheaper material. I personally prefer the v1 two-tone to the 3G. Plastic is SO 2006...

The other thing is that my daily routine is saturated in wifi... home, school, work, etc. I rarely use the network connection apart from streaming pandora in the car, and EDGE performs just fine for that.

yeah... because now i can tell how much better 3g signal is on my 3g compared to my old v1... :rolleyes:
/sarcasm.

but seriously, you might be right. the metal may not have that much affect in the signal. that still doesn't change my opinion about the plastic....

and about the yellow, when i first got my 3g, i did notice it having a slight yellow tint. some say this is better for viewing deeper blacks in videos and stuff. and i do think videos look better this way. but either way, ive had it for about two weeks or so, and i don't even notice it anymore.. and i think i prefer it this way anyways...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wasn't gonna go there, because I'm tired of the "mine's not yellow" and "you get used to it" and "it's actually better" responses.
And within two responses, we've hit them all. Thanks guy! :p

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not really. i challenge you to name anything that looks good in yellow.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry, Naps, I'm a "cool" screen kind of guy in an absolute sort of way. Warm tone makes text look fuzzy and makes me sleepy.