V1-To Sell Or Not To Sell..........

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Guys !

I've had my 3GS for a month or so now, (Love It !), and can't decide whether to sell my V1 or not. I know it still has many uses, but I'm finding that with the new phone, it's basically sitting in it's box. What have most of you done with your V1 or 3G iPhone. I'm really leaning towards the cashforiPhones website. I could get $135 or so for it, and it wouldn't be gathering dust in it's box. I know I could probably get more through eBay, but I've never done that before and really don't want the hassle. I just want ideas on the pros and cons of keeping the V1 and I trust you guy's opinions. Cheers !

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
I would say to put it on Craigslist. There's no sign-up and you can meet up and get cash instantly. Put on your add local sale only and cash only. No Trades. I've sold my V1 and my 3G on Craigslist with zero problems.

P.S. Always meet in a public place like a mall or something like that.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Selling a v1 is hard to do these days. Not going for nearly as much as they did before the 3gs came out. I kept mine as a backup and sold the wife's for $200. What will you use f you ever damage your 3gs?

Also the v1 has been a lifesaver on my beach trip this week. The nieces and nephews love to play games and now my phone isn't tied up all day, draining its battery. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'd do the cashforiPhones. The value of the V1's has decreased quite a bit since the 3GS release, so you won't get much more than that selling it privately. If you do decide to sell it privately, be sure to avoid the all to common Nigerian Paypal scammers. Only ship to the verified Paypal address, if you can't find anyone locally to sell it to for cash.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I was going to keep mine, maybe give it to my mom to use as an iPod Touch.... but I ended up getting an offer for $250 so I took it.

Oh well, sometimes I miss it, but the 3GS is so much nicer!

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
I just unlocked my V1 and will use it for international travels. My brother is going away for a vacation out of the country and just borrowed it. Also, my DD loves playing with it with wifi and all -- even used it with Skype.

Nemeses

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
What condition is the phone in? Hell if it's in good condition I'll give you the $135 for it. My mother wants one.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for posting the cashforiPhones site... I'm in the same boat, and have been wondering what to do w/ my 1st gen iPhone. It sits there totally unused. I also have a Nokia 6500 SLIDE that I bought a month before I got the 1st gen iPhone, so the Nokia would act as my backup phone (I haven't used the Nokia in over a year!). Anyways, guess I might as well get some $$ out of my 1st gen, and where I live now (small Midwest town), Craigslist really isn't a likely option. Thanks again, guess I'll at least get a quote from them

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
What condition is the phone in? Hell if it's in good condition I'll give you the $135 for it. My mother wants one.
Thanks, Nemeses, but I've already committed to selling it to cashforiPhones. I hope I don't regret it, but I really don't think I will. Cheers !

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Nemeses, I have one in GREAT condition with 3 free cases (including an unused invisible shield), charger (if needed) and the original box.

Would love to sell it to you if you are interested.

Send me a PM?

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Sold both my wife's and my 3G iPhones on eBay. Got $330 for mine and $350 for hers. Hope that cashforiPhones works out for you. Minus shipping and fees and the cost of two 16Gig 3GS, I'm holding $220 profit plus two brand new iPhones.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I sold my unlocked 1st gen on eBay for 150. Which is about what I wanted to get for it, especially considering the screen was cracked, slight crack nothing too horribly bad.

If your first gen is mint, minimal scratches/nicks/dings, I say put it on a 5 day ebay auction with low reserve. I'd be surprised if you didn't get more than 175 for it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I sold my unlocked 1st gen on eBay for 150. Which is about what I wanted to get for it, especially considering the screen was cracked, slight crack nothing too horribly bad.

If your first gen is mint, minimal scratches/nicks/dings, I say put it on a 5 day ebay auction with low reserve. I'd be surprised if you didn't get more than 175 for it.
Do a 24 hour ebay auction instead. Nobody will bid until the last few minutes anyway. Start it on a Saturday and have it end on a Sunday.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Do a 24 hour ebay auction instead. Nobody will bid until the last few minutes anyway. Start it on a Saturday and have it end on a Sunday.
Yes, no one usually bids until the last hour or so, but I would recommend leaving it up for a few days longer than that, just to give it exposure and give people enough time to track the listing.

I say this because I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that don't check eBay every single day. I know I don't.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yes, no one usually bids until the last hour or so, but I would recommend leaving it up for a few days longer than that, just to give it exposure and give people enough time to track the listing.

I say this because I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that don't check eBay every single day. I know I don't.
But you're talking about iPhone freaks here - people who will refresh the page every five minutes all day waiting for a new firmware update to come out...

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
But you're talking about iPhone freaks here - people who will refresh the page every five minutes all day waiting for a new firmware update to come out...
But if they're iPhone freaks, then that implies they already have an iPhone, so do you assume they would be doing the same thing on eBay. I know what you're saying, but I bet 99% of iPhone users do not even know this forum exists, which would lead me to believe that 99% of people looking for an iPhone aren't ridiculously obsessed with it.