V1 Updgraging to 3GS

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I currently have the V1 iPhone (8GB) I bought brand new in July 2007. I have ordered and will soon be receiving the iPhone 3GS. I am planning on keeping my V1 iPhone to use as an iPod Touch. When I activate my new iPhone 3GS, the V1 will go inactive. Does anyone know if I will still be able to update the firmware in my original V1 iPhone when they push out the updates? Since it's an iPhone, I wouldn't have to pay for the updates and it would keep it current.

Has anyone done this with the V1 to the 3G and can verify that you can keep upgrading the firmware in the inactive phone.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2009
the iPhone will ask you insert a sim card...and the iTunes will ask you to active.
so....if your phone is not jailbroken, then...maybe you should think about it.

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I've gotten my answer from the Apple.com forums. When I get my 3GS (which will have a new SIM card in it), I can activate it. The SIM in my V1 iPhone will deactivate. As long as I keep that old and inactive SIM in the V1 iPhone, it will still download and install O/S updates via iTunes the way you would if the phone was still "live."