V1 Value will rise, IMO

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So, I think once everyone has dumped their iPhone in order to by the new phone, the market will level. In fact, I think the value will go up on V1's. Once the 4 gigs were discontinued, they sold for $300, and up, even over the $400 mark. Some people will want a metal back, or whatever.

What do you think?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
dang it, tried to put a poll and forgot to check the box. oh well....

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think you're right. I really want to try my best to keep hold of mine - even try to persuade my daughter to hang onto it as a landmark mobile device ...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
With it seemly becoming harder to unlock the V2, that in itself should keep demand high for the V1.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I really do think the v1 will retain its value as its being discontinued and also the thing with it being less of a hassle to unlock. so I see it as being especially popular among tmobile users. I will definitely keep mine when I get the new one... who knows? it might be worth something some day

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think the value will rise, but I think it'll be at or a tiny bit above the iPhone 3G, purely because even though they ARE unlockable you can't get one without having a contract, but then again most countries have a deal with Apple now and will be available anywhere

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It probably will until the new iPhone can be unlocked and jailbroken.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
simple economics, as long as it is in demand, the price for it will increase. if supply (3g iPhones being able to be jailbroken or unlocked) increases, then the price will go down.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
simple economics, as long as it is in demand, the price for it will increase. if supply (3g iPhones being able to be jailbroken or unlocked) increases, then the price will go down.
Yeah, if they are able to be JB'd and unlocked, V1 iPhones would probably be pretty hard to sell.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, if they are able to be JB'd and unlocked, V1 iPhones would probably be pretty hard to sell.
I disagree, only because the seller of the unlocked v2 is going to have to make up for their Early Termination Fee with AT&T. Most of the people that sold unlocked phones in the past were trying to make a profit (since there was nothing to really try to get rid of your iPhone for) instead of trying to break even like those who are now wanting to upgrade.

Once they're able to be unlocked, an 8 gb v2 is going to sell for $450-500+, whereas someone trying to sell a v1 for what they're going for now (~$300) should be able to somewhat easily, just for the price alone.

The days of selling unlocked v1's for profit will be long gone, however.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I disagree, only because the seller of the unlocked v2 is going to have to make up for their Early Termination Fee with AT&T. Most of the people that sold unlocked phones in the past were trying to make a profit (since there was nothing to really try to get rid of your iPhone for) instead of trying to break even like those who are now wanting to upgrade.

Once they're able to be unlocked, an 8 gb v2 is going to sell for $450-500+, whereas someone trying to sell a v1 for what they're going for now (~$300) should be able to somewhat easily, just for the price alone.

The days of selling unlocked v1's for profit will be long gone, however.
Thats true...I didn't think about the fact that you had to sign a contract with AT&T to get the iPhone 3G at all.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think it will hold its value as long as AT&T still offers the 2G data plan at $20/mo (which it always should for that phone). People are cheap [raises hand].

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think it will hold its value as long as AT&T still offers the 2G data plan at $20/mo (which it always should for that phone). People are cheap [raises hand].
Lol...thats true I guess...