Vaja ivolution stripes - user review

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
Vaja ivolution stripes - user review

I will keep this short but thought it might be useful for people who like the look of vaja cases but are unsure about the expense and have no way of seeing them before they buy.

First off some pictures of my custom selection:-

click here for a couple more on flickr

Size
I have purchased previous vaja cases (for older ipods etc) so I had a good idea about how much bulk the case would add. For this reason I stayed away from the regular ivolution as similar styled vaja ipod cases had appeared puffy to me at the front - I thought the hard built in screen cover would be more streamlined.

I am happy with my choice - when closed the ivolution with the screen guard is more streamlined and offers greater access to the screen when open - obviously this is counter balanced by the fact that you either have to leave it flapping or fold it back when the phone is in use. To be honest I do find this annoying but am getting accustomed to it. I can open the case and use the phone one handed which might be important to people.

Build quality
Vaja cases are really built properly and the company have obviously given great care to this aspect of the businesss. It really does feel like a quality product as soon as you open the box - right down to the smell. With leather there are obviously variations as it is a natural material - so I will give you a run down of my specific case:-

The only leather which gives me any cause for thought is the turquoise blue colour (second from the right), the seam with the stripes beside it are not quite as clean as the others and it does pick up more dirt than the others (I thought the lighter shade would have been grubbier)

Overall I am happy with the quality of the case and ultimately I think it will break in and wear pretty well.

Cost
These cases are ridiculously expensive and depending on your country you may end up getting a customs bill as well - as I have done with previous vaja purchases.

However given that I like a good case and so many people have iPhones, these cases really look the part and stand out from the crowd - they do literally reek of quality. What I would say is that if you want to buy a vaja - do so sooner rather than later! - I preordered mine to get it about the same time as the 3GS - you really need to use the case throughout the lifetime of the phone to get any value for money.

I have heard that the cases hold a decent resale value when sold on or alongside the phone itself when you upgrade.

I hope this might help some people - am happy to answer any questions you might have about the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
What color did you choose for the outside? Is that the Provincial blue?

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
I believe so I will go and check the colours

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
Yes the bulk of the case is Provincial Blue, then Dark Blue, Baby Blue and Light Sky in that order left to right.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Thanks for posting this. Three questions:

1) how thick is it?

2) does it close securely? It's hard to tell from the pictures how the latch works

3) does it look like it's going to rub/wear against the phone?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Very nice color selections. Santa, the case has a "lip" on the top. A small amount of push/pull will close the flap or open it. It doesn't scratch as it is covered in leather. It does add a bit of bulk as the case is a hard shell covered in leather but I don't find it overwhelming or a detraction from the phones' silhouette.

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
BrownGem has answered most of this but...

1) how thick is it?

It adds slightly more than the plastic cases I have used but not enough to detract from the added value of it looking different and a quality product - If you want a guess (I am not great at this) I would say from the total size the phone itself would take up 3/4s - leaving the case with the rest.

2) does it close securely? It's hard to tell from the pictures how the latch works

Yes the screen flap part has a curved leather section on the end when pushed over the top of the phone hooks/cups it closed. This doesn't cause any damage as it is leather - If anything it will wear the leather but leather can cope with that sort of 'damage' it just softens and wears in.

3) does it look like it's going to rub/wear against the phone?

I think I answered this one above - besides the closing mechanism the rest of the case simply grips the phone - when open the case covers most of the back of the phone and grips around the edge of about 2/3rds of the outside (I can take more pics if you want). This makes the case look much smaller and gives you more room and more uncovered iPhone as the case doesn't surround/engulf the phone.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Do you remember overall how long it took to receive the case? The website says 25 days so I didn't know how accurate it was?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I've had an iVolution Top case on my 3G for about 10 months and it is by far the best case I've ever seen. True it's pricey but well worth the money. You can see it here.

It looks as good now as it did then. The only thing I'd warn you about is that the darker color dyed leather tends to show rub marks. I don't think the black does because mine doesn't show any but my wife's is a dark purple and the color along the edges is beginning to wear. It doesn't look bad, it kind of adds some character to it. Also, the screen cover has a lip on the top that hooks over the phone, across the SIM card slot and it has held its shape just fine which makes it stay closed just like it was new.

The leather hinge that connects the screen cover to the rest of the case is holding up very well but the orange stripe in it is beginning to fade but just slightly. I don't have a belt clip for mine so it slides in my pocket very nicely. About the only thing I wish were different is that I have to keep the top open to charge it. There isn't a hole in the top hinge for the cable so you have to open the screen cover to charge it. You also can't put it in any docks without taking the phone out of the case.

If you're considering spending the money for one, you definitely won't be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I've had two of the Vaja iVolution cases mentioned in this thread and found them to be expensive but worth every penny because of looks and protection. My first one for the V1 is still looking good and I just received my case for the 3GS a few days ago. I chose black both times, w/o the clip, and have been extremely happy with the way it's held up and protected my phones. Vaja will say that it takes 20 days because they are hand made, but it generally is just a couple of weeks between ordering it and it arriving at your doorstep. It really slips easily into your pants pockets, even tighter jean's pockets. Although not really needed since it has a front cover, I have been very pleased with the Power Support Crystal Screen Protectors from Apple. The last one I applied to the V1 is still intact and looking good. As soon as I get another pack, I will be applying one to the 3GS. I don't think anyone would regret buying one of these cases for protecting your investment, and the good looks it gives you to boot. Cheers !

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
good looking case for sure if it opened from the bottom up i would seriously think about getting one. I don't like how it opens from the top down.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
good looking case for sure if it opened from the bottom up i would seriously think about getting one. I don't like how it opens from the top down.
I have a case that opens from the top. It drives me crazy because you can't really open it if you have headphones plugged in.

I'm not really thrilled with one that opens towards the bottom, but I think it works better with the iPhone layout

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I have a case that opens from the top. It drives me crazy because you can't really open it if you have headphones plugged in.

I'm not really thrilled with one that opens towards the bottom, but I think it works better with the iPhone layout
The Vaja case can still be opened and closed with the headphones plugged in.

A top-opening case has some advantages because the top can help keep your conversations a little more private by using it to cover your mouth when you're talking.

It can also help direct sound from the speakers by angling it outward a little and there is less chance of it covering up the camera lens when you want to shoot pictures or video since it hangs down instead of over the top of the phone.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Oooops...

Let me try that again.

I've got a case that has a hinge on the top and opens from the bottom. It doesn't work well with headphones plugged in.

That's why I'm thinking a case with a hinge on the bottom and opening from the top might work better with the iPhone layout.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I'm really wanting another one of these cases. I just don't know what colors I want or if I want the special edition brown case. Such a hard decision.