Verizon’s device upgrade fee raised to $30 (on top of the $40 activation fee)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rafagon, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That, and those still lucky enough to have a grandfathered unlimited data plan will be rudely and unceremoniously capped at 200 GB.

More over on The Verge.

Folks, stick with (or jump ship to) AT&T. Their device upgrade fee is still $20, and those who posssess a certain level of charisma, such as myself, can probably get the $45 activation fee waived, as I just did two days ago.

They would’ve probably even bought me lunch if I had asked. :D

#1 Rafagon, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The activation fee is only for new lines. I don't plan on any new lines. I'm trying to get 2 lines off my service. It's time my 29 year old son and my sister in law do their own thing. An extra $10 won't kill me. It's certainly not enough to make me switch to AT&T.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Really? Is this true for all carriers? If so, then something has gone terribly awry, because they’re definitely planning on charging me $20 on my next bill for “Upgrade Fee.” No lines were added or removed.

20.png

Seems I’m not as charismatic as I thought, ‘cause only my $45 Activation Fee was waived.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just one day after I praised AT&T for keeping their prices less… pricey… than Verizon’s, they go and do this.

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/10/att-unlimited-data-plans-price-hike/

Thankfully, this doesn’t affect me, but if you’re clinging on to your grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T, you’re about to start paying a little bit more for your stubbornness.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I didn't say "upgrade fee". I said "activation fee". And I refered to Verizon. The $40 activation fee is only for new lines. The "upgrade fee" is for all upgrades.
    On other words, when I next upgrade, I won't have the $40 activation fee. All I'll have is the upgrade fee of $30. I haven't yet received anything about the price changes from Verizon though.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Just switched to the new Verizon unlimited data plan. Works for me!