Verizon’s device upgrade fee raised to $30 (on top of the $40 activation fee)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That, and those still lucky enough to have a grandfathered unlimited data plan will be rudely and unceremoniously capped at 200 GB.

More over on The Verge.

Folks, stick with (or jump ship to) AT&T. Their device upgrade fee is still $20, and those who posssess a certain level of charisma, such as myself, can probably get the $45 activation fee waived, as I just did two days ago.

They would’ve probably even bought me lunch if I had asked. :D

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The activation fee is only for new lines. I don't plan on any new lines. I'm trying to get 2 lines off my service. It's time my 29 year old son and my sister in law do their own thing. [emoji849] An extra $10 won't kill me. It's certainly not enough to make me switch to AT&T.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The activation fee is only for new lines.
Really? Is this true for all carriers? If so, then something has gone terribly awry, because they’re definitely planning on charging me $20 on my next bill for “Upgrade Fee.” No lines were added or removed.

20.png

Seems I’m not as charismatic as I thought, ‘cause only my $45 Activation Fee was waived.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Really? Is this true for all carriers? If so, then something has gone terribly awry, because they’re definitely planning on charging me $20 on my next bill for “Upgrade Fee.” No lines were added or removed.

View attachment 45248

Seems I’m not as charismatic as I thought, ‘cause only my $45 Activation Fee was waived.
I didn't say "upgrade fee". I said "activation fee". And I refered to Verizon. The $40 activation fee is only for new lines. The "upgrade fee" is for all upgrades.
On other words, when I next upgrade, I won't have the $40 activation fee. All I'll have is the upgrade fee of $30. I haven't yet received anything about the price changes from Verizon though.