Verizon Advanced Router vs. Quantum Gateway Router

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I have the FiOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router (MI424WR) but there are some dead zones in my house. I see I can get the FiOS Quantum Gateway (Router) with a range of up to 325 feet. I purchased the Advanced Router from Verizon for $99.99. I can get the Quantum Gateway fro $199.99 or $9.99/month.

Is the Quantum router worth it? I saw some posts online after I bought the Advanced one that it wasn't worth the $99.99 I paid. I need better wifi. Of course, I will have to upgrade to FiOS Quantum, but I can get discounts with the upgrade to where I'm only paying $5.00 more per month.

Please comment. @chris I know you have experience with Verizon routers. If this is the way to go, I'll do this rather than getting an Airport Express to use as a wifi extender.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
If you're going to spend money on a router upgrade, I'd think about going ASUS, and just using your current router as a modem. I'd certainly go non-Verizon. You'll get more for your money.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
If you're going to spend money on a router upgrade, I'd think about going ASUS, and just using your current router as a modem. I'd certainly go non-Verizon. You'll get more for your money.
I'm not spending money on a new router. I ended up getting another airport express off eBay for a great price.