Verizon app adds widget for tracking data

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by silvermoon, Dec 9, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The latest update adds a widget for tracking data usage. On my current plan, it is $15/GB when I go over so it's nice to see a widget.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1418173732.779637.jpg

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This is a smart use of widgets. Well done Verizon.

3. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Just saw eweather HD widget. Worth buying... Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone 5S

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Verizon added 3GB of data to my current plan for a total of 6GB.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1418269189.281991.jpg

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I saw another post about this today somewhere else. Hopefully, AT&T will compete. :D

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I just use the free Data Monitor app where I can set the limit and it keeps a record of my wifi and cellular usage and resets on the next billing cycle that I set every month.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Guess I need to call Verizon and ask why I don't get offered 6 gb. They gave me one promotional gb to go with the 4 gb the plan carries. But that one is just for 1 year. And I have 4 lines. They're cheating me.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Are you on a loyalty plan? I've been with Verizon for 5 years and on the same plan for a year.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Called Verizon and they gave me the 6 gb deal. I could have got 8 gb for the same price I've been paying. But with 6 gb, my monthly bill will go down $10 a month. We won't need more than 6. My 27 year old son is the only one who uses a lot.
    With one more day in the billing cycle:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418337414.420730.jpg

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

A simple phone call is usually what it takes.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

6GB was generous but now I have 8GB when I check the data usage tracker... I don't really need this much but I'll take it.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1418375185.910009.jpg

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Better check the price. I was offered 8 gb for what I had been paying, which was $70 for 4 shared gb. I chose 6 gb for $10 less at $60. Had I stayed at 4 gb, it would've been $50. So my bill should be $238, rather than $248. And I get 2 additional gb.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Out of curiosity, why did you start a new thread just for this widget? I had already posted about it in the "What Widgets Do You Have" thread and you "liked" it. That was on the 8th. Then you start this thread on the 9th. I have no problem with it, but it did arouse my curiosity.

14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I started a new thread because I just recently saw your thread on this widget. If there was a way to delete threads, I would have removed it.

15. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm going to give Verizon a call and make sure my bill is the same. I didn't ask them to bump me up to 8GB.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What they say?

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Or you could have asked a moderator to delete it for you. :)

18. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I didn't get around to calling Verizon yesterday but I just got off the phone with one of the customer service reps who informed me that I'm still on the 6GB plan. The widget was showing a total of 8GB because I have another 2 GB in promotional data. I asked him if there was a way to lower my monthly bill as I currently pay about $150. He said that part of the problem is that I've got an iPhone and there is a $40 access fee with any smartphone. I told him that I understand and do not want to depart with the iPhone but if there was anything else he would be able to do to lower my bill. He saw on a previous bill that I had data overage and could have avoided any additional charges if my plan was switched over earlier in the billing cycle and so he fixed it and issued a $15 credit. After we were all done, he estimated my bill for future months to be about $132.98 with taxes. I think this is high for a cell phone bill but I believe that he did everything that he was able to. The other part I might mention is that I'm locked into a two year edge agreement and so I also pay $37 for my monthly payments. He suggested if I want to lower my bill, one way to do it is to put money away in a savings account and once my edge balance is down to a reasonable amount, pay it off and my bill will drop to about $85.57/month.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My bill is quite a bit less than that, but I have a 24% monthly plan AT&T FAN discount through my employer and only have 3 GB of data. It doesn't discount my Next hardware charge, but it discounts the phone, messaging, and data plan portion of the bill by 24% (everything except taxes, fees and hardware). You work for Best Buy, right? I think they offer an employee discount on cell phone plans with all of the major carriers. Have you checked into this?

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Mines the same. It shows 7 gb rather than 6, due to the 1 gb promo I already had.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418575471.625298.jpg