Verizon Defector Here

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hi All: I am on the east coast, New Jersey to be exact, and I was wondering how many people here are from NJ and have the iPhone. I'm in the Montclair, Bloomfield, Newark area.

I have been on Verizon since 2001. I did not get the iPhone last time around because i was on Verizon. I am not into the copycats and I am not jazzed about the LG Voyager (iPhone killer):mad:. I love Apple products and how the company makes things that are simple and easy to use.

This go around, I am leaving Verizon and their crappy phones and going to AT&T, but I have been doing research to see how AT&T service is in and around my area and there is little information on the web about it. I don't know anyone in my area who has AT&T at all and that is not a good thing. People around me say Verizon is too expensive, but complain about T-Mobile and Sprint, but none of them have AT&T. I just don't want to leave Verizon and be stuck or one of those people who have to leave their house to make a call. That is just unacceptable and I'm just not into it.

So, I need to know if anyone is from my area and can help me out on this.

The other thing I was wondering is if anyone here has had to bring a number over to AT&T and how that went. I was told my account had to be active and not to cancel the Verizon service. I won't cancel, i just want to bring my number on over to the iPhone without a hitch.

I know this is probably a lot, but i am hoping someone here can lend me a helping hand. I want to come over to the light side and be a proud owner of the new iPhone 3G.

Sorry for the long post, just need a little assistance.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :cool:

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Hey adnurahs, welcome to the boards. I live in Michigan, so I can't directly answer your questions. However, I can tell you that you will have 30 days to try out AT&T when you transfer your number. AT&T has a stronger presense here in the East, as opposed to the West Coast. You can check out AT&T's website and view maps with coverage areas. If you zoom down to city level, you can view their 3G coverage, too.

So, at bare minimum, you can take your number to AT&T, check out service for a month, and if is is horrible, take your number and old phone and go back to Verizon. No harm, no fowl.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
The way to do the phone number transfer is to keep you old phone active until you activate your new phone. At that time the number will get transferred and your old account will be automatically closed by the action. It generally takes under an hour to have your new phone ringing by the old number.

In your position, I might get the new phone and a new number and use it a couple of weeks before transferring the old number and canceling the account, because once you transfer, you can't go back. If you don't like the service you can return the phone and cancel the service and get out of the contract and only pay for what you used for 2 weeks.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Hey adnurahs, welcome to the boards. I live in Michigan, so I can't directly answer your questions. However, I can tell you that you will have 30 days to try out AT&T when you transfer your number. AT&T has a stronger presense here in the East, as opposed to the West Coast. You can check out AT&T's website and view maps with coverage areas. If you zoom down to city level, you can view their 3G coverage, too.

So, at bare minimum, you can take your number to AT&T, check out service for a month, and if is is horrible, take your number and old phone and go back to Verizon. No harm, no fowl.
Hi jslappa! Thanks for welcoming me in. I did put my address in and take a look at the map and it said the srevice is great in my area and the 3G is up and running and working well in my area. I hope this turns out to be true. Wow! 30 day trial. That is terriffic. I will definitely take advantage of that.

Thanks so much for getting back to me and helping me out. I had no idea about the 30 days and it's good to know that AT&T works well on the East Coast. I am on the East Coast so that is encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer me I do apprecaite the help. :)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
The way to do the phone number transfer is to keep you old phone active until you activate your new phone. At that time the number will get transferred and your old account will be automatically closed by the action. It generally takes under an hour to have your new phone ringing by the old number.

In your position, I might get the new phone and a new number and use it a couple of weeks before transferring the old number and canceling the account, because once you transfer, you can't go back. If you don't like the service you can return the phone and cancel the service and get out of the contract and only pay for what you used for 2 weeks.
Sonicwind thanks for replying. :) Thank you for the transfer info. That is helpful. I wasn't sure how long it would take to transfer the number and never knew how permanent the change was. Automatically closes the account. WOW!

See now, that is a great idea. ;)I should just activate it with a new number and if i like it i can transfer my old number over. Brilliant! See, that is why its good to go ahead and ask. I knew on this forum someone would be able to help me out and give me sane, safe, and real information. :pThat is such a good idea. I didn't think of it myself. :cool:Thank you soo much! I apprecaite it. Now, I feel confident that i can test the iPhone 3G and not worry at all.

Thanks guys!

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
be careful guys, he's a verizoneer. don't get any of his verison juice on you!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
be careful guys, he's a verizoneer. don't get any of his verison juice on you!
LOL! :laugh2: That's funny! Verizoneer with verison juice. Don't worry, I showered before i enter this place. :p I don't want to leave any Verizon chips anywhere. Oh, and BTW, I'm a she not a he. ;)

I've got to get away from Verizon asap! Man, I can't be known as a Verizoneer, oh that just won't do!:eek:

Thanks for the laugh brein! :laugh2:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008

Thanks styfle: I checked the map and as far as my area is concerned, it's all systems go and for 3G also. I hope this is true. I am looking forward to getting this phone. I know I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one in my family. Oh well. I hope it'll be a good experience. :cool:

May 14, 2008
Used to live in Hillsdale (throw a rock to Montvale, Park Ridge, Paramus, etc.) and AT&T truly sucked up there for signal & reception back in 2004-05. Recently switched to ATT from VZW last year and on businesss trips back to Bergen County (Hackensack primarily) I've been pleasantly surprised. Good/great signal all the way up and down the Turnpike & GSP, no real issues other than the expected lack of building penetration by GSM when down in lower levels/basements. But they appear to have improved significantly over the past 4 years. I'm on a Blackberry Curve currently which gets good reception in general so if the 3G iPhone is at least its equal, then I'll be fine when going back to North Jersey/NYC/Rockland County. Used to work in Union and no one bitched too much about anyone's reception (ATT, TMOB, VZW or Sprint) through most of Union/Essex & Sussex counties. Hope that helps.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks styfle: I checked the map and as far as my area is concerned, it's all systems go and for 3G also. I hope this is true. I am looking forward to getting this phone. I know I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one in my family. Oh well. I hope it'll be a good experience. :cool:

Good luck. I'm sure you're gonna love the phone and the service. Looking forward to seeing you around here more often...

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Used to live in Hillsdale (throw a rock to Montvale, Park Ridge, Paramus, etc.) and AT&T truly sucked up there for signal & reception back in 2004-05. Recently switched to ATT from VZW last year and on businesss trips back to Bergen County (Hackensack primarily) I've been pleasantly surprised. Good/great signal all the way up and down the Turnpike & GSP, no real issues other than the expected lack of building penetration by GSM when down in lower levels/basements. But they appear to have improved significantly over the past 4 years. I'm on a Blackberry Curve currently which gets good reception in general so if the 3G iPhone is at least its equal, then I'll be fine when going back to North Jersey/NYC/Rockland County. Used to work in Union and no one bitched too much about anyone's reception (ATT, TMOB, VZW or Sprint) through most of Union/Essex & Sussex counties. Hope that helps.
volsfan: Thanks for your input. :laugh2: You lived a little far from me but it's encouraging to hear that AT&T stepped their game up and improved in your area over the past 4 years. That means there is a chance that with all these new customers and all this new technology AT&T did improve everything and buy or put up more towers.

Thanks again volsfan, your info certainly did help! I apprecaite it. I'm getting more confident about my decsion with each answer and with the more i read on this forum. ;)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Good luck. I'm sure you're gonna love the phone and the service. Looking forward to seeing you around here more often...

Thanks for the luck psylichon! :laugh2: I have been doing so much research on the iPhone 3G i feel like as soon as i get my hands on it i will know just what to do. :eek: Oops, maybe not. Reading and havng it are too different things entirely. I just know i will be thrilled when i get it.

One thing i can say, with all this research and reading I've been doing and just seeing the iPhone 3G on line, i am now so sick of my cell phone. :pMy Motorola Razr 2 is now so yesteryear and needs to be put down. :rolleyes: I used to love that dag on thing, but no, now, its just a tired sorry little thing that doesn't do much of anything excep :eek: make and receive calls. :eek:

Thanks for welcoming me in and i know i will see more of you around here as well.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I live in Bergen County and the ATT service isn't that bad. Verizon is still way better but, I can live with the few dropped calls that I get just to be able to have the iPhone. I have the most dropped calls on route 4 in hackensack. If i do drop a call, i call the person right back and it's fine, the only time I get pissed is when I am on hold with a company or something and drop a call and have to go back in the "hold que." I actually do get service in some stores and areas where verizon can't get service. The iPhone is well worth the few dropped calls you will get. I was so mad that verizon was getting phones a year after ATT would have them but the iPhone was the straw that broke the camel's back, I had to switch and am glad I did, it is definitely the best phone out there.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Remember that you have the 30 day trial period to see if the iPhone 3G works well where you need it. It doesn't matter how great a phone is if it won't work in your area. If it doesn't work, just take it back, pay for the usage during the trial, and get the remainder of your money back.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I live in Bergen County and the ATT service isn't that bad. Verizon is still way better but, I can live with the few dropped calls that I get just to be able to have the iPhone. I have the most dropped calls on route 4 in hackensack. If i do drop a call, i call the person right back and it's fine, the only time I get pissed is when I am on hold with a company or something and drop a call and have to go back in the "hold que." I actually do get service in some stores and areas where verizon can't get service. The iPhone is well worth the few dropped calls you will get. I was so mad that verizon was getting phones a year after ATT would have them but the iPhone was the straw that broke the camel's back, I had to switch and am glad I did, it is definitely the best phone out there.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure, but I think Essex county is not that close to Bergen county. That is my fear, having dropped calls. With Verizon, I rarely have dropped calls. When i do a little signal pole comes up on the screen with an X through it, then i know and i just call back. I really don't want that with the iPhone. I hope the signal is strong.

My other fear is that the phone will sound bad for receiving and making calls. I don't want to sound far away or like i'm in a tin can. I also want the person on the other end to sound good. If they sound bad or i sound bad that may just be a deal breaker. I have already heard a lot of things about how the reception on the ist iPhone was horrible but people who had the phone didn't care.

Another thing is, I like talking on my phone. I'm not into the bluetooth thing hanging out in my ear. I don't think it looks cool, plus i have too much hair for all that and i am not about to get it caught and tangled and rip the device out of my ear. I know i'm going on and on, but these are real concerns of mine.

LOL!:laugh2: Afterall, iphone-v2, I am a girl! :eek:LOL! A man couln't possibly have any of these concerns! LOL! ;)No offense taken! Thanks for your comment iphone-v2 it made me LOL! :laugh2:

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure, but I think Essex county is not that close to Bergen county. That is my fear, having dropped calls. With Verizon, I rarely have dropped calls. When i do a little signal pole comes up on the screen with an X through it, then i know and i just call back. I really don't want that with the iPhone. I hope the signal is strong.

My other fear is that the phone will sound bad for receiving and making calls. I don't want to sound far away or like i'm in a tin can. I also want the person on the other end to sound good. If they sound bad or i sound bad that may just be a deal breaker. I have already heard a lot of things about how the reception on the ist iPhone was horrible but people who had the phone didn't care.

Another thing is, I like talking on my phone. I'm not into the bluetooth thing hanging out in my ear. I don't think it looks cool, plus i have too much hair for all that and i am not about to get it caught and tangled and rip the device out of my ear. I know i'm going on and on, but these are real concerns of mine.

LOL!:laugh2: Afterall, iphone-v2, I am a girl! :eek:LOL! A man couln't possibly have any of these concerns! LOL! ;)No offense taken! Thanks for your comment iphone-v2 it made me LOL! :laugh2:
I wasn't expecting that sweet reply ;). Was almost ready with all my hand grenades :cool: