Verizon doubles early termination fees

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I wonder if AT&T will do the same. That really sucks for Verizon users, especially since the company is not even worth it due to its bad signal (as I've heard).

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
People rant about the fees that At&t charges, but when I was with VZW I remember them charging for everything.....I thought they were much more expensive than At&t.

~S

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Verizon is doubling the termination fees, because they are hemorrhaging people who leave and go to other networks either for the iPhone, or for the Pre.

If i was on Verizon, i'd just leave now and refuse to the pay the termination fee. Whats the worst they can do? Send your name to credit collections? thats not a big deal.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I just saw the article a while ago. I won't be surprised if other follow suit. They gotta make money some how when subscribers leave.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
As I just mentioned in another thread, smartphone subsidies are getting too high.

The carriers simply can't afford to keep up to a billion dollars tied up in customer loans like that... especially when a lot of users were just getting a new phone, then paying the relatively cheap ETF and selling the phone for a profit.

I'd say yes, the other carriers will follow, just as they did when Verizon introduced the monthly reduction in ETF (thank goodness for that, at least).

At this point, it's time for the feds to step in, and at least require that the ETF amount be controlled by each phone's total price and amount of subsidy.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Verizon is doubling the termination fees, because they are hemorrhaging people who leave and go to other networks either for the iPhone, or for the Pre.

If i was on Verizon, i'd just leave now and refuse to the pay the termination fee. Whats the worst they can do? Send your name to credit collections? thats not a big deal.
Looking at the latest sales figures, they certainly aren't leaving for the Pre...

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I could see the ETF being dependent on the Fair Market Value of whatever phone you subsidized through them.

If you have an iPhone through AT&T and bought it subsidized at ~$200, then an ETF should be the full cost of the phone minus the price you originally paid. Of course, the ETF price would go down over time.

I'm one of the people that doesn't agree with being able to get an iPhone under contract and then end contract a month later and sell the phone for a profit...I think this circumvention of the system costs everyone else more $$ in the end.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
People rant about the fees that At&t charges, but when I was with VZW I remember them charging for everything.....I thought they were much more expensive than At&t.

~S
I totally agree! They were expensive as heck and I get much more at AT&T using the iPhone. My bill was always different with Verizon:mad:. I would get games and ringtones and the prices for these on my small ass phone was ridiculous.

When I left I just left and paid the ETF for two lines and was out! It was worth it but now I feel bad for those who want to go early.

I do think other carriers will follow suit soon.

The iPhone :cool: is killin em'! :eek:k:eek:k

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I totally agree! They were expensive as heck and I get much more at AT&T using the iPhone. My bill was always different with Verizon:mad:. I would get games and ringtones and the prices for these on my small ass phone was ridiculous.
Good grief, you would've been better off getting a smartphone like the rest of us, and downloading apps, ringtones, themes, etc for free.

Well, except of course there's that pesky data plan fee :)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Good grief, you would've been better off getting a smartphone like the rest of us, and downloading apps, ringtones, themes, etc for free.

Well, except of course there's that pesky data plan fee :)
LOL! I guess I would have been better off, but I'm finicky and didn't like the smartphones available. I didn't even like the blackberry because of the keyboard and crappy screen. I am so happy I waited for something better and that was the iPhone. I am so happy with my iPhone and actually happy with the AT&T service. For me, so far, AT&T's customer service has been better than Verizon's customer service.

Deathwish238

Bronze
Oct 19, 2009

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California

Um, they can sue you in court if you refuse to pay them. Additionally, they can have your wages attached and report you to the credit bureaus where you FICO score will be damaged. Not to mention the annoying phone calls you'd received from the collector's at your work and house...then they start calling your friends and family. Then when they find you, they lay eggs in your brain...no, but the rest is true. Whether or not they push the envelope to recover the money you OWE them, is up to them.