Verizon iPhone 5 update eliminates carrier data usage while connected to a WiFi Network

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Stated by 9to5mac http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/30/veriz...data-usage-while-connected-to-a-wifi-network/

This evening an update is going out to Verizon iPhone 5 owners which resolves an issue where, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. We’re not sure how much data leaks and why or if Verizon will be offering refunds. We’ve reached out to Verizon for a statement.
verizon-iphone-5.jpg

Instructions to install the update.

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
2. Wait for the following alert to appear:

Tap Settings > General > About.
Wait for the following alert to appear:

3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see “slide to power off”.
5. Slide to power off.
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.

Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again.

After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that “Verizon 13.1″ is displayed.

The issue may be a carryover from the Wifi+Cellular feature that was in the betas of iOS 6 but was eliminated in the final version. One reader below mentions that the data leak seems to have been occurring while the device was asleep.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
That is pretty interesting David. Have you figured out how much (if any) data has been subtracted inadvertently from your plan?

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
I have att but over at macrumors people have seen 7gb used in 4hrs use they have had wifi enabled and were streaming youtube and browsing the web as music then they would receive a text from verizon that they went over tere a lotted data plan.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Also some att customers reporting the same problems but no carrier update released for att customers.