Verizon LG Dare

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Does seem a relatively interesting one, but their classing of it as more of a 'feature phone' is not encouraging.

Also, as with all pretenders, the software / interface side of things are where they really can't match up ...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Does seem a relatively interesting one, but their classing of it as more of a 'feature phone' is not encouraging.

Also, as with all pretenders, the software / interface side of things are where they really can't match up ...
yeah, I blame that one on Verizon though. LG did the best they could to pretty it up and make it more interactive, but for the most part its still VZW's same old crappy interface.

One of the interesting things to me is that it had handwriting recognition. Like if you drew a L with your finger, it recognized it and it was input into a text message. Still slower than a QWERTY if you have to draw it out letter by letter and wait for it to recognize it, but still interesting.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Blame Verizon = oh yeah. Amazing that carriers have not learned yet that they are terrible, terrible interface designers, always.

Guess the answer is at least partly because they have to keep building in all their own crapware that tries to force you into making use of more of their sub-par services and apps at every twist and turn of their UI ...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Blame Verizon = oh yeah. Amazing that carriers have not learned yet that they are terrible, terrible interface designers, always.

Guess the answer is at least partly because they have to keep building in all their own crapware that tries to force you into making use of more of their sub-par services and apps at every twist and turn of their UI ...
Amen to that! especially the VZ Navigator that you can't help but accidentally pushing on every single touch screen phone they have. my fiance has the Glyde right now which I'm going to return as soon as the Dare hits the store. Everytime I unlock her screen I accidentally open that stupid crappy VZ Navigator app.

Here is to hoping since ATT subsidized the new iPhone they won't try putting TeleNav on it!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I welcome all these phones because they will just make the iPhone better. First off, the iPhone is superior to anything out there. With that out of the way, there will undoubtedly be features in some of these phones that are actually good. Think of these guys as R&D for Apple --- a very minute R&D group that rarely has their suggestions implemented.:p

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Touch to unlock. What the..... (oh that's right I'm the ADMIN and have a standard to uphold)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I welcome all these phones because they will just make the iPhone better. First off, the iPhone is superior to anything out there. With that out of the way, there will undoubtedly be features in some of these phones that are actually good. Think of these guys as R&D for Apple --- a very minute R&D group that rarely has their suggestions implemented.:p
Housed in a basement, with no staplers :)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
this so doesn't do it for me. I dare you to go get this instead of the iPhone 3g!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The hardware is okay looking; yet obviously a copy of the iPhone. Software wise though, the UI is more of the same; crap. And i agree with Chris; these things aren't doing anything to the iPhone but helping it.

- John

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
One of the interesting things to me is that it had handwriting recognition. Like if you drew a L with your finger, it recognized it and it was input into a text message. Still slower than a QWERTY if you have to draw it out letter by letter and wait for it to recognize it, but still interesting.
You do know that the new 3G iPhone is incorporating HWPen... an app that does the same thing, right? I've used it... didn't' care for its speed at all... but it will be stock on the new iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
You do know that the new 3G iPhone is incorporating HWPen... an app that does the same thing, right? I've used it... didn't' care for its speed at all... but it will be stock on the new iPhone.
I hadn't heard that. very cool

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Touch to unlock. What the..... (oh that's right I'm the ADMIN and have a standard to uphold)
HA! give yourself an infraction just for thinking about it!

I agree all these phones just help the iPhone. And of course imitation is the best form of flattery.

John: Actually, the Dare is more a copy of the LG Prada which actually preceded the iPhone :p

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I do think they got some things right on this phone...i like the look of horizontal texting.