Verizon thinks iPhone Stinks!

Aug 16, 2009
Florida
(This is just my yammering about a recent call I had with Verizon) :dft008:surprised

Well, well... here's a surprise. I just called to cancel my Verizon account seen as how my last phone has been switched to the iPhone (now an all-Apple home). As trained, the customer service person did her best to bad mouth Apple and the iPhone, even citing her brother-in-law as an Apple employee who thinks the iPhone stinks... sad.

I told her I felt Verizon has excellent coverage but their phone isn't up to snuff and that if Verizon ever gets a deal for the iPhone I wouldn't have a problem switching back. She told me that Verizon doesn't even want the iPhone because "it's terrible". :D

I told her I wasn't going to get into a technology debate with her and to just cancel my line. She ended the call with a sarcastic "Good luck with the iPhone!"

I know she doesn't speak for Verizon, but I found the whole conversation very amusing.

3GS is better than anything they've got currently in my opinion. That's why I'm still with ATT. Living 10 miles away from their headquarters doesn't hurt either. 3G saturation baby!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I can guarantee if management heard that call, she would immediately be unemployed.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I can guarantee if management heard that call, she would immediately be unemployed.
I hope they did hear it. I work in a call center myself, and while agents have have to bite their tongue when it comes to certain customers being an ass, moron, idiot, etc., there's no reason the representative should have said any of those things.

When I called to cancel my T-Mobile coverage back in February, they offered me many deals and were very pleasant about it. Come to think of it, that was only when I inquired about canceling. I never once spoke to anyone when canceling my service, as all I had to do was walk into AT&T and they ported everything over, and I said goodbye to T-Mobile.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I think they are coached to bad mouth the iPhone. A buddy of mine had alltel now verizon. He went in to get a BB Storm. I went with him and the whole time the salesman was telling me how horrible my iPhone was that they are nothing but trouble.

Well about an hour after my buddy got his storm he had to take it back because it crashed and locked up . wouldn't do anything , wouldn't turn off nothing hahahaha

Karma's a B***CH lol

:eek:k:eek:k

Mar 2, 2009
California
I used the BB Storm at the Verizon store shortly after it was released and I had the same issues with lockups and freezes. That right there sold me enough to buy an iPhone.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Verizon is known to have the best phones of all major carriers. They test them endlessly (except for the Storm) to make sure that they are 110% compatible with the Verizon Wireless network and that the software functions flawlessly. I have to admit that the new Motorola Startac that I bought last year with the one year plan rarely ever locked up on me. Verizon is true to its promises.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How unprofessional of that Verizon customer service rep. I would have told her that her attitude sealed the deal and I'm now staying with the iPhone. I never had any problems canceling my Sprint service for the iPhone. I never had to explain anything. Aren't those calls usually recorded for training purposes?

Mar 2, 2009
California
Aren't those calls usually recorded for training purposes?
I think the agents call was recorded for firing purposes, lol

Not all places record; some just monitor. My call center only monitors for now, but I know someone at one point suggested that calls be recorded too and then management thought it was a great idea. Now they're trying to acquire some license that allows them to record which I hope never happens.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
How unprofessional of that Verizon customer service rep. I would have told her that her attitude sealed the deal and I'm now staying with the iPhone. I never had any problems canceling my Sprint service for the iPhone. I never had to explain anything. Aren't those calls usually recorded for training purposes?
"This call may be recorded for training purposes. It is not being recorded for the purpose of aniticipated litigation. Not at all. We aren't even thinking about it. Yes, we may use it for training purposes too."

uturn68

Bronze
Jul 26, 2009
curious-when you say "canceled", did verizon prorate your ETF? im going to cancel verizon on thursday to get an iPhone too, but im worried about porting my # and then getiing a bill for the full ETF.

eplchamps0304

Bronze
Feb 24, 2009
(This is just my yammering about a recent call I had with Verizon) :dft008:surprised

Well, well... here's a surprise. I just called to cancel my Verizon account seen as how my last phone has been switched to the iPhone (now an all-Apple home). As trained, the customer service person did her best to bad mouth Apple and the iPhone, even citing her brother-in-law as an Apple employee who thinks the iPhone stinks... sad.

I told her I felt Verizon has excellent coverage but their phone isn't up to snuff and that if Verizon ever gets a deal for the iPhone I wouldn't have a problem switching back. She told me that Verizon doesn't even want the iPhone because "it's terrible". :D

I told her I wasn't going to get into a technology debate with her and to just cancel my line. She ended the call with a sarcastic "Good luck with the iPhone!"

I know she doesn't speak for Verizon, but I found the whole conversation very amusing.
FYI all carriers do this.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
FYI all carriers do this.
That's funny. When I called to cancel, the rep asked me what carrier I was switching to. I told him AT&T. He asked "iPhone?" I said yes & he said I don't blame you. I think it just depends on the rep you speak with.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think these representatives will say anything to keep their customers. I think they also get a nice commission if they do talk their customers into staying so that is the primary motivating factor.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's funny. When I called to cancel, the rep asked me what carrier I was switching to. I told him AT&T. He asked "iPhone?" I said yes & he said I don't blame you. I think it just depends on the rep you speak with.
That was funny ZR. I guess he knows a good thing or perhaps he is an iPhone owner himself. LOL

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I think these representatives will say anything to keep their customers. I think they also get a nice commission if they do talk their customers into staying so that is the primary motivating factor.
That's the wrong way to go about it. They should be offering all kinds of services for lower prices instead of badmouthing another product or carrier.

Mar 2, 2009
California
curious-when you say "canceled", did verizon prorate your ETF? im going to cancel verizon on thursday to get an iPhone too, but im worried about porting my # and then getiing a bill for the full ETF.
I ported my # over the day my contract was over and still had to pay for a full month worth of service that I never used. BS.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I ported my # over the day my contract was over and still had to pay for a full month worth of service that I never used. BS.
You should call and complain. Speak to a supervisor if necessary. I had a 240 dollar cancellation fee/bill from Verizon when I left for the iPhone back in October 2007. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but after being on the phone with them for awhile it went from owing them 240 bucks to a check for 3 dollars in the mail :cool: