Verizon to AT&T for iPhone 3G?

Jun 16, 2008
Clermont, Florida
Im thinking about switching from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3G. Im currently using the Lg Voyager(Verizons wanna be iPhone). Just wanted to see what you guys thought of AT&ts coverage and what not. Thanks.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have been with ATT for many years and am satisfied. My signal strength is always good for the most part. It is like anything else, some like ATT some don't. I am happy with them. The iPhone is a great phone and with the app store coming soon, it will be even better.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
No one on here will be able to tell you about coverage where you live, work and play. Only you can decide that. I recommend fully utilizing the trial period. You'll probably fall in love with the iPhone, but be careful not to let that overshadow the coverage. If you have crappy coverage where you need it, it doesn't matter how good the phone is if it doesn't work.

Joe

ENTERT8NER

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Im thinking about switching from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3G. Im currently using the Lg Voyager(Verizons wanna be iPhone). Just wanted to see what you guys thought of AT&ts coverage and what not. Thanks.
I have AT&T and live in a very rural area in the desert. My signal strength is great at times and other times not so great. It just depends where I'm at. I'm very happy with AT&T's customer service and of course the iPhone so I won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.

Now are area just needs 3G... Even though that's not stopping me from getting the new iPhone on July 11th!
:cool:

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I don't know about 3g because I have never used it but as far as regular phone coverage, I use to have Verizon before i got my iPhone and although AT&T has improved over the last year I sometimes find I do miss Verizon's coverage. My family all still have Verizon and they can get signal where I can't sometimes, especially when we are traveling. The other thing that sucks too is they all send picture/video messages to each other and I can't.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I was with VZW for a long time. I liked their widespread EVDO coverage but I left because of their less than spectacular phone selection. Here in the Dallas area where I'm at they coverage is pretty close to the same, however if you get far out from the city, Verizon has 3g (EVDO) coverage in many places AT&T doesn't. But it's not really a problem, EDGE is sufficient in most places. I'd say I have a 3g signal 90% of the time around most places I'm at when I'm using my Nokia N95.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
AT&T is as good as any other. I've been rotating providers (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular/AT&T) for years. For some reason the CDMA providers never work well in office buildings in Houston. But AT&T works fine. I always liked Sprint's customer service and pricing better. But I like GSM in general as a protocol.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It seems like we are getting to the point where there are so many friggin cell phone towers around with free roaming that it doesn't make a huge deal what carrier you have, they all are gonna work good enough (granted some will be better).

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I switched from Verizon to AT&T for my v1 iPhone and I really dislike AT&T's service here in the Chicago area. It varies from region to region, but around here Verizon has much better service.

Jun 20, 2008
Huntington Beach, CA
I don't know about 3g because I have never used it but as far as regular phone coverage, I use to have Verizon before i got my iPhone and although AT&T has improved over the last year I sometimes find I do miss Verizon's coverage. My family all still have Verizon and they can get signal where I can't sometimes, especially when we are traveling. The other thing that sucks too is they all send picture/video messages to each other and I can't.

So on AT&T you cant send picture/video messages?:mad: not even w/the iPhone 3g?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hopefully there will be something in the App Store for you guys that just can't live without MMS.:cool:
They better not charge us to have a feature even the lamest phones come with standard nowadays. That's like not selling a car with standard A/C IMO. MMS is NOT expensive elaborate technology!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
They better not charge us to have a feature even the lamest phones come with standard nowadays. That's like not selling a car with standard A/C IMO. MMS is NOT expensive elaborate technology!
Absolutely, it would not be right to charge us.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I switched from Verizon to AT&T for my v1 iPhone and I really dislike AT&T's service here in the Chicago area. It varies from region to region, but around here Verizon has much better service.
I like your new avatar!

iBJAY

Jun 20, 2008
Hilliard, OH
My brothers had the Voyager, which seems to me like a 'ghetto' iPhone...lol.

But, he always has problems with it...So, I don't think I would ever want one.

If I were to ever get a touch screen phone, it would be the Original Touch Screen Phone, Apple's iPhone...which I want so bad.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I have thoroughly tested out all 4 major carriers(including verizon, tmobile & sprint) and AT&T by far has been the overall superior carrier without a doubt in my mind. None of the other carriers have even came close to the level of reception that AT&T/cingular has provided me and 3G HSDPA is the fastest data around.(so far AT&T is the only carrier in the states to deploy this super fast network.) Also, phone selection. Overall I think AT&T has the broadest range of interesting devices compared to the other US carriers and although they do block some of the manufacturers intended features at least they do not seriously cripple their phones and impose a oppressive standard user interface for all their phones to use like Verizon.

Also I noticed when on verizon this phenomenom...Every so often I would get a vm that would pop up out of knowhere without my phone ringing or saying "missed call". After having people tell me they "were calling me and why was I not answering?" I came to the conclusion after taking to reps. & research etc. that when the CDMA network has too many users, simply not all calls will get connected. Even if you have adequate signal and the caller can hear it ringing on their end, some calls will just not ring through. I also noticed this while on Sprint which led me to believe it was a CDMA defect but I hear gsm also can sometimes have these issues but EVERY single call seems to make it through with AT&T, more than I can say for the competition.(And all carriers have adequate coverage in my area)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've had AT&T (formerly Cingular) for six years now and I've always been happy with it. Once the made the switch from TDMA to GSM in '03 the call quality really improved. I think Verizon based on the fact they are a CDMA provider, actually has better coverage expecially in rural areas, but I don't think their call quality can touch a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile. Luckily for you, AT&T will give you a 30 day trial period with your new phone and activation. If the coverage doesn't work for you, then you can take it back and just pay for the usage accrued. It doesn't matter if iPhone can spin straw into gold if it can't make calls where you need it. Buy it, try it, and then decide whether it's right for you.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Also I noticed when on verizon this phenomenom...Every so often I would get a vm that would pop up out of knowhere without my phone ringing or saying "missed call". After having people tell me they "were calling me and why was I not answering?"
That's funny because I get this on AT&T every so often. It was just happening to me a lot yesterday but I was at the beach and I don't know if that had anything to do with it but I do get this once in awhile.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I have both AT&T and Verizon, and Although Verizon bets AT&T hands down in the DC metro area, oddly enough the two compliment one another, it the rural areas where I can't get good Verizon service I can whip out my iPhone to full bars...lol

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Hi
I live in Tampa, Brandon and Lakeland area

AT&T coverage is not as good overall with sound quality a bit lower vs Verizon and my Razr...I get some drops in my car, I never had with Verizon...Lakeland coverage is not as good as Tampa area

You really need to ask someone in the Clermont area